Thursday 10 December 2020

Cobhams 10th Dragoons for the 1745 Rising Based

The basing department has been busy with figures for the 45, the first unit completed and based being a troop of Cobhams Dragoons and a Leader for them.

Cobhams fought at Clifton, Falkirk and Cullodon so were in the thick of things for the second half of the campaign and a useful unit to have.
The figures are all Flags of War purchased as part of their last Kickstarter, the latest one is ongoing right now and the dismounted versions of these guys are a stretch goal, so hopefully we will see those chaps in the Spring. Lovely figures to paint, I particularly like the Officer.

The Guidon is also from Flags of War and the lance-like flag pole is from Warfare Miniatures, I am not entirely sure these were still being used at this stage but they were certainly in use for slightly earlier conflicts and, importantly, it looks quite nice.
I have found the musicians hard work for this period, Cobhams in particular have black over white lace which is really difficult to re-produce so this a slightly stylised version of that.

I do intend a second troop of Horse/Dragoons. Chris is also doing a troop of Cobham's so I can either do a third or add a different unit. If I go for something different it would probably be Kingston's as they saw a lot of action and outpost work. That's a decision for the Spring though when the figures are in front of me.



This enthusiastic officer is probably my favourite of these sculpts and the horse sculpts are both lovely.
Whilst I have painted quite a few figures for this project now its nice to see a finished unit ready for the table complete with leader. Its given me a nudge to get on with painting a few more.

Next from the basing department will be the first highlanders.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice unit....like the maroon colour, I can imagine the lace is tricky. I have a unit of grenadiers for my AWI project but they keep getting put off !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, the lace is a bit of a pain but nowhere near as bad as the tartan for the other side.

      Delete
  2. They look too good Roj 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a superb looking unit! I have a British FIW force which I am looking to use for the '45 and bought some mounted Dragoons from Front Rank that are not unlike yours. You have set a high bar indeed - great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, your British for FIW should translate really well and Front Rank have some nice figures for this period, I have added a few in myself.

      Delete
  4. Very nice figures indeed and the subdued red is probably more realistic than the bright colour I use on all my 18th and 19th century Brits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I use a brighter red with British Uniforms usually but I thought the subdued one more realistic for these earlier troops.

      Delete