Sunday 1 November 2020

Basing for the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion Project

Having got a good start into the new project Chris and I are now talking basing. For the most part the basing was relatively defined when I started this project. We generally base ouur Sharp Practice figures on 4 figure nulti bases either 40mm x 40mm or 35mm frontage by 40mm depth, it works well for us. Skirmishers can be either singles or pairs and cavalry in pairs typically on 50mm square bases.



So Chris had the first couple of units for this project, bought second hand already painted and tarted up, then straight onto 40mm by 40mm so it seemed a fairly done deal until we started talking about how the charging highlanders might struggle to squeeze onto that size and look right.

Command figures will generally be on 25mm round bases for foot figures and 50mm round bases for mounted figures as per the below officer of Cobhams Dragoons.

For the regular foot I am debating, options inlcude the below 40mm frontage by 50mm deep which has more of the bayonets protected but still not really deep enough to protect these fully. I wonder how far I should go in building deeper bases to protect the figures.



The standrad 40mm by 40mm for me possibly doesnt work quite so well.

This 35mm front by 40mm deep seems wide enough and I have stacks of them left over after rebasign the AWI collection recently. But its not deep enough I feel, specifically for the Royal Ecossai with both ranks fring, the redcoats I will probably put the firing figures in the second rank so they are easier to solve.
Add caption



Just for completeness here are the Royal Ecossais on 40mm front by 60mm deep bases, for me these still`leave bayonets over the edge of the base so I am not sure the extra depth actually achieves anything. Still food for thought.


Traditionally the cavalry are on 50 x 50 mm bases, however I noticed a bunch of these 40mm frontage by 60mm depth bases and I think this look a lot better. I have enough for my inital cavalry requirement so these might be the way I go. Perhaps I should try the formed foot on these bases?




This is the 50mm by 50mm still looks ok but I think I prefer the 40 x 60mm.
For the Highlanders I am tempted to try something a bit different. I am thinking round bases to reflect their less formed nature, bases of 3 and bases of 2 to allow different sized formations. 3 x 2 with muskets will be a skirmish screen, 2 x 3 and 1 x 2 will be a unit of 8 whilst 2 x 3 and 3 x 2 might give me a clan group of 12. Both flexible and, I feel, giving a nice, different look to the units. Very tempted by this.


Although I have used a couple here for illutstration purposes, Lowlanders of both sides will probably be on the same bases as the formed regulars as this is how they typically fought.


What does everyone think?

Deeper bases look nice and protect figures but perhaps not quite as practical when worrying about units interpenetating and such like. 

Feel free to share your thoughts and watch this space for more results.


20 comments:

  1. I think the highlanders look really good on the round bases, I will certainly use this when I come to base my figures, I just need to work out a system to mark groups using some dice frames for recording shock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clive, we have been using grass tufts one 20mm round bases, they look like part of the scenery but equally are really obvious, some examples in some of our AWI games if you look on some earlier posts.

      Delete
  2. Agree with the round bases - looks much more irregular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve first ones gone to the basing department.

      Delete
  3. For the regulars I'd have gone for a deeper base to entirely protect those bayonets. Just thinking a bit further, such a deep base may also offer a bit more movement with the Highlanders as well. Either way it all looks suitably inspiring and makes me want to revisit and dust off my own Jacobites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, appreciate the feedback, thinking I will getsome more regulars complete before deciding, the horse and highlanders I am prety decided. Look forwrd to seeing your newly galvanised project in the near future.

      Delete
  4. For the regulars firing I would probably go for bases as deep as it takes...
    The highlander bases look great...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing that the FoW bayonets are as fragile as Iron Duke ones I would go deep and add some interest to the ground work. Maybe some broken stone walling. Weren’t your original Royal Ecossois behind a wall? They looked great. A real vignette. Plenty heather. A dead highlander just visible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting thought Chris, I will play with some options, now I know why you sent me the image of the broken walls!

      Delete
    2. I feel that you either fully protect the bayonets or not at all. No half measures 😉

      Delete
    3. A fair point if they are not completely covered why waste time with big bases.

      Delete
  6. Highlanders on round bases. Check. That works for me and as you’ve written allows for a variety of sized groups as well as a less formed look. It’s a look that has worked for me with my Apaches and, for Dragon Rampant, my skellies. I must get around to painting some highlanders so I can base some up. My heather is ready to go. Cavalry I’ll leave up to you. I may go individually based? Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as frontage is similar itr wnt matter if you individually base the Cavalry, what Cavalry you doing? I look forward to seeing some highlanders.

      Delete
    2. Not decided whether Kerr or Cobham yet. Know you’re doing 2 groups of Cobham but favour Cobham due to their action against Irish Picquets. We may just end up with 3 groups of Cobhams

      Delete
    3. I was tempted to do Kingstons to be honest so that might free you up to do Cobhams, that said three groups is fine either way.

      Delete
  7. Lovely figures , I am going to buck the trend above an say stick with square. For me something not quite right about the longer bases but this is entirely aesthetic. Of course the main issue is are the figures for skirmish or ranked gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, they are for Sharp Practice which is pretty open to interpretation in terms of basing. The formed units though will typically be in formations of 24 or so figures that break into 3 groups of 8. Basing as 4's will work best I think.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks veyr much Bartek, I can be guilty of overthinkign the basing, usually because I want to get too much out of it.

      Delete