Saturday 7 November 2020

Even more off the Workbench for the 1745 Jacobite Rising

 I am really enjoying painting these figures so at the moment I am managing to stay fairly focused, lets see how long that lasts.

A bunch more figures completed, at this rate I will have them all done by the time that Iain at Flags of War has the next Kickstarter completed and posted out to us, assuming early-ish next year maybe March. Just as well really as I am multi basing and some of the units rely on figures not yet produced, many will languish in a box until the new releases are here.

So without further ado here are the latest.

Royal Ecossais kneeling firing, these give 16 figures complete, no more of these to paint until the expected Kickstarter gives me the loading figures to finish the unit off.

Assuming Iain does one pack Kneeling loading and one standing loading then one of each gives me 24 of these which is perfect for my purposes, ideally I would like a spare officer figure to allow me a seperate leader, but that can wait for now.
The farm building is another of the lovely Hudson and Allen peices, I think it looks ideal for the highlands.
Next a couple of lowlanders, this is the standard bearer for my Jacobite lowland unit, a generic flag in hand, the pointing figure is one of the Galloping Majors FIW leaders who will be a leader figure for my Glasgow Militia. 
The flag is pretty heavy and would topple him over if I hadnt propped him up, the sooner he is on a base the better. 
This first lot of highlanders are all Flags of war as is the flag, another generic one. For some reason I was reluctant to pin them down to a particular clan. With the way I plan to base these I can at least start thinking about glueing some of these to bases.
Experimenting with different tartan patterns, this rather plain one I think works very well and in keeping with the less well off clansman.
In contrast I have made the standard bearers a bit more complicated and thrown in an extra colour, I like how this looks but any more pattern would just get lost and look weird I think.
These next three are Redoubt (right and left) with a Front Rank figure, this last a much better fit both in style and size with the Flags of War figures. I particularly like the chap in his shirt, a few more of this type to do some with swirling shirt ends, I expect these will be a bit marmite, you will either love or hate them.
The Redoubt Figures are of course designed for English Civil War so lots of two handed weapons rather than muskets, they do have a certain charm though being very dynamic, the faces are not the best perhaps. The one in the middle below I have again added a little extra pattern, this time a thin white thread running throught the pattern. I think it looks well.
The next lot of Barrels have come out nice leaving me with only 6 more to do for now, that said it was not without some drama and some cursing.

Having base coated red, I asked about lacing to check I had it right, the image that kindly came back gave me the lacing I needed but showed a blue waistocat, I promptly re-painted blue and varnished before being told that was the 1760 uniform, 1745 was still the red waistcoat. Doh!

Repainted again.

To add insult to injury having run out of the usual Minibits spray varnuish I use from Pendrakon games I picked up a tin of Humbrol Matt, I stopped using this years ago and was reminded why today when it turned my finished figures all fogged and grey and after much cursing I re-sprayed with gloss to get rid of the awful grey smears. Humbrol back in the bottom of the drawer I will need to source some replacement varnish, a bit tougher just now with no shows running.
All that said I am quite happy with the end result and the project marches another step further on.
The musketeers all have brown campaign gaiters and sit quite nicely firing over the wall of the farmyard.
They look suitably ready to recieve a rush of Jacobites behind these stone walls.
This is perhaps a better shot of the uniform as a whole. 4 more loading and two musicians sees these figures exhausted, another pack of 4 needed to round this unit off at 24 figures plus an officer.

I do however have a whole bunch of Front Rank redcoats kindly donated by chum Chris Charlton, I am tempted to do two units of eight with these as a different regiment, perhaps Sempills as its a simpler lacing.

So with all my Royal Ecossais and Cobhams painted and most of Barrels done I will be concentrating on digging into the highlanders and all that tartan, wish me luck!


10 comments:

  1. Good progress Roj. I’m with you on the simple tartan for the majority of highlanders. I’ll be revitalising those marines I showed you before tackling the tartan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont put it off too long Chris! Marines look great.

      Delete
  2. They look really good. I do hope mine come out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Doug, look forward to seeing your figures.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you painted the tartan on your figures. I was looking for an inspiration for that and I got it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much Bartek really please dits useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely toys indeed Roger...
    The standards add a real burst of colour...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, its starting to come together a bit now.

      Delete