Monday 3 August 2020

Zamburak Camel Guns Work in Progress

For some time I have been wondering how best to approach Indian Camel Guns or Zamburaks. The Sikhs used literally thousands of these in the larger battles, often supporting the irregular cavalry.

Wargames Foundry do a lovely one in their old Indian Mutiny range but I just couldnt see it working being fired over the camels head whilst moving and there is only the one model. A quick google shows they were likely used in a different way.

 Zamburak - WikipediaCamel guns/ zamburak - Worldbuilding Stack ExchangeEthnographic Arms & Armour - The Camel and Heavy Weapons.

Westfalia Miniatures  (I think) do a nice Persian camel gun which gave me some ideas, I then came across a bunch of Afghans for sale on ebay that came with 6 seated camels and I thought ah ha I can try my hand at converting these.

Chum Chris Charlton helped me source some guns and with the addition of some crew we were off.

First three Zamburaks are below and I am pretty happy with how these have developed.

This first one has a large Trent Miniatures Jezail with two Foundry gunners, the Officer is from the Old mutiny range but looks suitably "Sikh" alongside a gunner from the Sikh Wars range.
This next one is crewed by two Afghan gunners and uses the Blood and Plunder pirate swivel gun, I have images of both swivel guns and large Jezails being used so happy with both options.
This third one has 2 Empress Afghan gunners manhandling their Jezail over the camels neck, clearly slightly inept, with the Foundry Afghan chieftain exhorting them on.
I do like how slightly comical these two look, the Pathan version of Laurel and Hardy.
A better view of the swivel gun, photographic evidence shows these either as all bronze or all iron affairs. My next one might be iron.
Another rear shot of the one with the Jezail mounted, if anything they just look slightly too high to be used by the gunners, I am not too phased by that though, overall suitably happy.
I haven't glued the crews on for basing yet, mainly because I have 3 more camels and some more crew to paint and I want to be sure I have the right crew with the right gun from a visual perspective but I don't think these are far off at all.
So pretty pleased with how these have come out, I dont yet know what stats to give them for the battlefield, maybe the range of rifles (Rather than guns or muskets) and no canister option?  They need to be slightly useful rather than devastating, whilst the Sikhs had lots of these the accounts dont really mention them causing large numbers of casualties.

A little something different and I hope you like them, more to follow. Cheers.

18 comments:

  1. Top work Roj. Not sure you can make them look other than sat high compared to the fellows acting as crew. They maybe haven't chivvied their camels to get lower. Have to see what the now Black Hussar one looks like. Cheers Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm their camel looks tiny. Sent you image on WhatsApp

      Delete
    2. Cheers CHRIS, ON BALANCE i PREFER MINE.

      Delete
  2. How about every time they fire roll a d6. On a 5,6 your opponent dies laughing!! Look forward to using these when we next play!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be laughing on the other side of your face sir when these beautities open up a dealdy hail on you!!

      Delete
  3. These look terrific, if not so for the camels...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking really good.

    The Black Hussar model
    https://blackhussarminiatures.de/produkt/persian-camel-1pdr-high-hats?lang=en
    does have a comically small camel, but they also seem to be the only company who make a firing model zamburak for any army.

    Early on in the process of researching a Sikh army, ie reading the Osprey book, the existence of zamburak is mentioned with no pictures or explanation. My first thought was that this army just had to include something so distinctive. It is a shame figure manufacturers don't share this feeling.

    The Trent jezails look good for this, being slightly 'heroic' in size. Redoubt make both kneeling camels and swivel guns, both available without figures.

    The thick bases on those camels do make the figures look small, but I am sure with a bit of height adjustment once you settle on a final arrangement of figures they will look fine.

    Looking forward to more.
    Were you going to create a moving unit as well? Something I had decided to be far beyond my modelling skills with such limited figure availability, just the one Foundry figure.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roo, I never considered filign the base down, doh! I will do that with the enxt lot, no plans for a moving unit to be honest, another three and this will be three units of two camels all firing.

      Delete
  5. They look great.

    When used correctly camel guns could apparently be very effective. William Dalrymple notes the Afghans using them to slaughter an opposing force of Maharatha cavalry. They surrounded them and shot them down. He doesn't tell us what they were firing.

    The Sikh mounted arm was mostly mishandled in the Anglo-Sikh Wars maybe that extended to the camel guns?

    I'm fielding mine as very light guns because that works with Field of Battle. It means they can make a contribution but they are by means a battle winner.

    It occurs to me that they could be treated as analogous to Jingals deadly close up and negligible at a distance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OB that all sounds about right, bit of experimenting I think once they are on the table.

      Delete
  6. They look great! Feel sorry for the poor camels though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, you have to wonder how the camels coped.

      Delete
  7. Some great ideas there. Irregular do a walking Zamburak (in their 25/8mm Persian Napoleonic range). In my view it's better than the Foundry one, and comes with separate rider and swivel gun frame, so should be easy to combine with a kneeling camel for a firing pose. Of course, it'll need a head swap or rider substitute to serve with my Marathas or your Sikhs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter thats one to bare in mind, I have 4 more to paintgiving me seven in total, as I want them in pairs then the Irregular one is one to consider for the 8th cheers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter, I have ordered one to see what it's like. Didn't find this on a google search as it is described as a zambuck (?) Also the Persian stuff is now in the Colonial section.
      This could make a moving section of guns possible.

      Delete
  8. These look wonderful. A really interesting unit to model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Elroy, glad you like them, a little bit different one to follow.

      Delete