Saturday 22 August 2020

New Toys

Look what the postman brought!

Had a couple of days in Northumberland (more on that later) to break the monotony and returned to a bunch of gear for the Sikh Wars project.

The first box was Sikh Cavalry picked up from Roo on the Lead Adventure Forum. He sold me a bunch of un-needed cavalry and kindly let me pick out the ones I needed.

Enough here to give me at least three units which will finish off the Sikh cavalry completely.

Also in the post was a bunch of mainly Sikh regulars from chum Colin, most of these will actually be surplus to requirements so I have agreed to sell them on ebay and donate the proceeds to Marie Curie Cancer Care, keep an eye out for them if you are interested.

Amongst tht figures from Colin was these guys, I think they are the Old Glory Sikh Gurkhas, musket armed rather than the Foundry ones which have rifles, muskets do seem more likely. I am very tempted to pull out the best 6 for a skirmish screen and perhaps paint red as Purbia infantry. Either way most of these will get used.

Lastly was a box of goodies from Empress which I had been looking forward to, a number of bits and peices but mostly gear to help me finish off the baggage train.
This bullock cart is just lovely, the bullocks are fantastic sculpts, 2 different beasts and seperate heads so you can make them up into four entirely different ones if you get a number of them, useful for the bigger gun limbers that use this same model.
The ammunition camel train. now the camels are bit skinny and spindly for me (the only criticsim I have of pretty much anything in this range) that said really well sclupted and crew are fantastic, mixed in with my three other baggage camels these will look brill. Once I have these done the baggae train will have 7 camels, one elephant, one bullock cart, a couple of bearers and half a dozen donkeys and mules. I was very tempted by the baggage elephant too but those long poles done in resin look too prone to snapping for me, possibly one to come back to.
Four irregular horses for the Irregular cavalry recently donated by chum Chris and to be eventually used as Skinners horse I hope. Again cracking beasts and very dynamic. The horses are far bigger than the old Foundry ones so are being kept in seperate units. The horses are the one par tof the Foundry ranges that really dont mix anymore.
The Afghan mercenary command is one of my favourites from the whole range, very characterful. Looking at these I am reminded of the interview with the Perry twins. They were asked if they looked at the market before sculpting a range to see if there was a gap, they admitted they did but were only really put off if Paul Hicks had already done a range. You can see why, these are just brilliant.
On the subject of Perry's the Empress sculpts fit perfectly between the old Foundry and newer Perry ranges so mix really well. This pack of sepoys will mix with my Foundry figures once the chap in the skull cap gets a head swap or greenstuffed.
Lastly is a pack of 8 Bengal Light Cavalry, the chap with the turban will again have a head swap, I will however be very careful as the head is wonderful and I want to re-use. Possibly as an Officer of Skinners. These guys complete my purchases for the Indian Cavalry for this project. I have the first two of this unit already painted a while ao and soem of the horses already started so may look at these sooner rather than later.
So another step closer to megolamania or just to finishing the project, lookinG forward to gettinG stuck into these. Hopefully you will see some of them trickle through soon.

8 comments:

  1. That is quite a lot of stuff.....! Floor boards will be creaking under the weight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I might need to reinforce the floor, maybe better oof downstairs Lol

      Delete
  2. Plenty to keep you going for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added to the impressive pile I already have it is going to take a while to clear through.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with all projects! Hope, to see them all painted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painted yes Bartek, soon.........well maybe some of them!

      Delete
  4. Cool. Very useful info as the baggage train stuff has been sat in my Empress Cart for a few weeks now while I hummed and harred! As you know Roger, I've got 3 boxes of Perry Afghans on the way so it would be rude not to add to them with the ID Afghan Command and the Matchlockmen too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yes these are lovely I have to say, slightly side tracked by AWI just now but will definately be jumping into these shortly.

    ReplyDelete