Tuesday 28 July 2020

Last of the Polish Pancerni and some Afghan skirmishers

The basing department popped home for a barbeque today and brought a few bits of based figures including the last unit of Pancerni.

Dave and I still havent met to discuss how we will aproach this project but the good news is these are spot on for the Great Northern War project anyway so all good either way.

As usual these are a mix of manufacturers both riders and horses, these guys being either Redoubt or The Assault Group, both horses and riders mix in well with each other. The trooper in the middle of the right hand base had a sword snapped off so I replaced the whole hand with one gripping a pistol which I really quite like.
I have used nail art water slide decals to drop some design on the saddle blankets for about half of them, simple geometric designs for most but a fancy one for the standard bearer.
You can see the trumpeters saddle blanket here quite well.
A view from above gives and idea of the irregular style of basing I prefer for the Poles and the Cossack's.
Some of the nail art is more visible here including the floral design on the standard bearer.
And again from above here. Really pleased with how this came out.


She also brought me a few skirmishers for my Muslim tribesmen, I fancy a skirmish screen for each brigade so this is the first of many and a mix of metals and plastics.
Size wise they fit quite well but the Perry and Foundry metals are much better sculpts, interesting to see if the plastics will be inter-changeable in any way with the Perry plastic Afghans due out next month. The kneeling figures are all metal in case you hadn't figured out which were which.

Thats it for now, see you all again soon, hopefully some more from the basing department in the near future.

18 comments:

  1. Pancerni look great Roj. Nicely done. And you sort of overlook the odd poses of the plastic Afghans once they're mixed in. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, still on the fence with the plastic afghans but see what full units with odd ones mixed in looks like.

      Delete
  2. The nail art decals for saddle blankets is an amazing idea. I wish you had this post published earlier. I think I will redesign my figures. The paintwork is stunning on both Pancerni and Afghans. I have not used Redoubt figures yet, but on your pictures, they look quite well. I think to buy their Winged Hussars as I need one more unit for my 28mm collection. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bartek, personally I am not as keen on Redoubt Winged hussars, I have a unit of them in an earlier post, make sure you are happy with them, I much prefer their Pancerni.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I just saw them. You are right, now they are beyond my interest. I agree, their Pancerni are quite good and also Zaporozian Cossacks.

      Delete
    3. Some of the Zaparojians are nice your right, I have a couple to mix in with my Cossacks.

      Delete
  3. Great work Roger. Stunning figures in all respects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul and thanks for the great tip on the nail art, inspired.

      Delete
  4. Awesome Pancerni cavalry Roger, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as usual Roger. I've pinched the nail art idea for some Italian Wars Gendarmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colin, I think that will be a really good fit with the right transfers, look forward to seeing the results.

      Delete