Sunday 10 December 2023

Sarissa's Pele Tower

I recently picked up an MDF Pele tower from Sarissa Precision at a show, initially for Border Reivers but also with a view to using for the highlands and for Elizabethan Ireland. The design of the building fits Tower Houses for all 3 regions during the Tudor period and later, I can also see them fitting for a Jacobite game in the Highlands for instance.

The kit is really nice looking, although the build details, whilst good, are difficult without all the pieces being numbered. I am not a modeller so this did finish this with a degree of cursing and ripping incorrectly built parts off to replace with correct ones (or just the right way around).

Fortunately its simple enough once you get the hang.

The book is keeping me focused on the period as I try and knock this building out in a fairly short period of time.

The fireplace and stairs have a decent ammount of detail, the steps were a struggle to build but as this being used for external rather than internal gaming the inside can remain fairly un painted. 
The stairs have come out well but are really difficult to build when you have fat fingers like me.

Internally there is still a decent ammount of detail for each floor and the stairs remain a pig to build.

I wonder if adding the outside loo hanging off the outside of the wall was designed to help people get a move on? I certainly wouldnt want to spend too long sat there!


Finished product looks pretty good, but if I am to disguise that it is MDF I suspect that a lot more work is going to be needed. Food for thought.

8 comments:

  1. That is a VERY nice model, Roger - if I was not so mean, I would get one myself (even though I have already created three homemade Pele towers of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, yes happy with it so far but not sure where to go next. Possibly foam board cladding

      Delete
  2. That is a great looking building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a fine abode. I look forward to seeing the finished piece. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on the tower, plenty of existing buildings to help you think about some weathering ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have picked up some foam sheet that might work already stone embossed. One to consider when I have some more time Matt.

      Delete