Thursday 31 August 2023

Midgard Bronze Age Playtest

 We had a game at East Leeds tonight to test the changes to James Moriss's forthcoming rules for heroic warfare, Midgard.

We have play tested these three times now and thoroughly enjoyed them, but there have been changes as they get nearer to publication so we wanted another go with the latest version.

I still dont have enough figures to get the best from the rules which can be used for very large battles indeed, I do have plenty left to paint, but otherwise we think they are good fit with their focus on rewarding the heroic behaviour of the Leaders and Champions and optional extra rules for magic, enhanced weapons, Shamen casting curses etc..

Chris Flowers would command a smaller force holding a hill. He has A level 3 leader and a level 1 and level 2 Champion, 2 units of javelin armed skirmishers, 1 of archers, 1 of light cavalry, 2 of warriors and 1 of Warriors Heavy Infantry. Thats those chaps in decent gear at the front with swords and axes.
 



My force was slightly larger.. I have the same levels of leader with level 3 Battle Queen Maive leading a level 1 and 2 champion. The other troop types I have one more of each than Chris other than the Warriors Heavy Infantry and Javelins. So 2 Light Horse, 2 archers, 2 javelins, 3 warriors, really this should more than offset the advantage of the hill. Let see.

The aim of the game is to deplete your opponents reputation whilst increasing your own through winning or losing melees or single combats, points can also be added for making the first charge of the game or charging your leader into melee. Adding in optional rules for magic etc can also give an extra layer to those games where this is appropriate. Clearly when units or champions are defeated this leads to loss of reputation. 

A silver goblet with jewels to represent your reputation is recommended, we made do with coffee mugs and curtain rings.

Chris wanted a photo so I decideed I needed a photo of him taking a photo of me, childish I know!
Game commences and immediately Chris Issues a challenge from his commander to mine, naturally I accept and we meet in the middle of the armies to conduct our duel.


Purely for visual purposes I swapped the Hero's on foot for the same figures riding in Chariots, I think our duel requires some more Panache.
After three rounds of combat both leaders retire having gained reputation points and both having their stamina reduced by one. Tiring work all this heroic posturing you know.

Lugh of the silver spear has come to take enemy heads, heres one he prepared earlier!

Back behind her army Queen Maeve urges them on and the army advances.
Each unit moves once, all measurements are in spear throws which is also a unit frontage, hence the movement trays. Foot move one Spear throw and mounted move two. Units can also attempt to move a second time needing a command roll, its fairly easy passing on a 3 plus, leaders and champions can also spend points to re-roll fails although move one this is not needed and all my forces leap forward two spear throws (four for mounted)

My right flank Cavalry are not quite close enough to reach Chris's light horse.
My other cavalry unit swings around the flank of Chirs;s forces led by my level 1 champion
Chris's turn and he charges my light cavalry, his level 1 Champion issues a challenge and beats my level 2. Damn!
His Light Cavalry also beats mine and reduces its stamina, but we pass our morale.
Chris turns his archers to fire at my passing horse without success, I chance a long range shot and take on point of stamina from him.
Our Javelinmen advance to exchange short range missile fire..
Chris chares my light horse with his warriors and our hero's engage in single combat, again Chris manages to win both combats, killing a second champion and damaging my light horse.
My javelins have made amess of Chris's but now he charges his Heavy Warriors and my Javelins evade.

Chris has the edge here as he has hit my ordinary Warriors first and they become my primary unit.
As the melee begins our Leaders ride into single combat again and you guessed it Chris kills the last of my Champions who is also the leader of my force and my reputation pot is lookign decidedly empty.

The battlefield is a waste of piled corpses as very few units remain at all and virtually none are left completely intact. 
One last roll of the bones with an even chance of beating Chris, 3 fives should do it.....no he rolls 4 sixes! Thats it my reputations points are gone and Chris takes the victory.
We call it a night, all of my Champions are dead, all my reputation is gone and most of my troops are food for the crows.

Chris's dice have been fabulous, even when I rolled well he rolled slightly better.

Fair play though , the Gods favoured Chris's troops this day.

Another good test for Midgard passed with flying colours, I really need to consider how I am basing the rest of this collection now to get the best out of them. Food for thought.

9 comments:

  1. A great looking game. The Scandinavian Bronze Age is a fascinating period, one that has always interested me since l first went to Denmark many moons ago. I was wondering about using these rules with my figures from the period. Would they work for solo play ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, potentially yes Alan, I dont solo game myself so not clear on the conventions you use but there are points based scenarios in the rules which will help you out quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. P.S l would be interested to hear more of your basing plans too. I have all my Scandanavian Bronze Age individually based too but have been recently looking at putting them on 12cm by 6cm as units…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your plans are not far off, I have yet to sit down and think about basing properly but will share on here when I do.

      Delete
  3. The rules have really come along. I look forward to buying a set and getting it signed by James lol. There was no beating Chris when he rolls better than you every blinking time. The figures are fab. And as to Alan’s question about solo play; yes, but you would need to be your own oppo. There aren’t any mechanisms in the rules like Mr Babbage in TMWWBK. You could introduce rules to randomise the enemy activity so you don’t know exactly what they’ll do. Cheers, Chris C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont remind me, thanks for helping us out with the Rules Chris as always.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for answering my questions.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Alan, expect rules to be out commercially in the new year I think.

      Delete
  5. Awesome ,you are a many of many periods.

    ReplyDelete