Saturday 26 August 2023

3d Printing 40mm

I have been keen to find extra figures I can use and in particular I had been quite enthused by the new Hesse-Darmstadt troops by Piano Miniatures.

So after speaking to Paul at Sabotag3d, he was happy he could scale the 28mm files up to 40mm so I took the plunge and bought a couple of STL files.

The first test figure is back, looks lovely, maybe increase the size by 2mm but other than that really pleased, a good fit with the slightly larger Perry figure here.

Paul sent me a couple of shots before posting, I was warned that some of the sculpting might feel deep and you can see that on parts of the trousers on this figure, you can see the deep sculpting around the groin and knees, all told I think its going to look well.
Lovely so next step is to prime these two up and paint them. 
The cut of the uniform suits Poles as well as the Hessians but also Spanish if I can remove the head and replace with Spanish bicornes.
This first one has painted up really well, takes the paint well and I think looks great.
I have a few images with the yellow welt on the trousers so going to mix some of these in I think.
Not quite as brittle as expected, the bayonets have a decent bend and sprint in them which will possibly make them as or more robust than metals. Overall really pleased so looking forward to getting the rest and completing a unit.

The Hessians are coming! After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing to get the size right (it took a while and printed few too big to start with. Hessians are on their way and hopefully ready to share some finished figures soon.

I have these figures on the painting table now and they are lush, great that the 3d printing gives me some more options to increase the rang of figures in 40mm.

As mentioned, the uniform cut for the Hessians is very similar to the Spanish so I had a couple done without heads so I could add separate heads for some variety. Below are two with Spanish heads, of course the Bonnet de Police could still be a Hessian or even a Pole but probably wont be.

Hopefully this lot will give me at least a 24 man Hessian unit, possibly 32, plus additional figures for my Spanish as I plan another unit or too.

The project, as usual, has taken on a life of its own and I almost have enough for Brigade level games in 40mm rather than the Sharp Practice large Skirmishes initially envisaged.

As always watch this space for developments.


4 comments:

  1. It’s an amazing collection and the quality of the 3D prints is top. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have turned out really well Roger.
    I am looking forward to seeing them painted.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, will be making a start soon.

      Delete