Monday 16 March 2020

Latest Sikh Regulars For Sikh Wars Project

This unit has been a real nostalgic pleasure, you may remember me saying I had picked up 12 figures I painted back in the 90's that had been sold on to other collections, I painted an additional 8 marching figures from Old Glory and then rebased the original 12, with very little else other than a layer of varnish here they are. Welcome back old friends!
So we dont really know which Sikh regiment wore what combination of uniform and facings but this mix seems to have been one of the common ones and is quite bright with a lot of white.
Officers oftten wore expensive Silks and this figure with the Helmet and pistol is one of my Favourites from the old Foundry range.
The flag is interesting, when I painted these 25 years ago or so we only had the references for two captured Sikh flags both very faded so I made up my flags. This one amusingly is based on the flag outside my local Guru Nanak temple.

This lot takes me to 4 regular battalions, I am planning to paint them in pairs with the same uniform as multi battalion regiments tended to be brigaded together in the French manner, hardly surprising when you consider that the Sikh army was trained and organised by ex French Napoleonic officers.

One of the last Sikh Wars units I will finish for a little while I suspect as I make in-roads into the 1745 lead pile however a couple more units already painted to share first.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice work and don't they look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sikhs are awesome, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see these fellows return to the fold. The OG mix in well. Hopefully this post won't get spammed :-/ Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased to get them, particularly this unit with the unusual flag! I almost managed another but was gazumped unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking toys Roger...
    I do like the Sikh uniforms from this period...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, they really are colourful arent they

      Delete