Tuesday 28 November 2017

Workbench Back to Great Northern War

So I am pretty sure this says a lot about me.

Having decided to have a short break from Great Northern War, mainly as I wait for Warfare Swedish Cavalry to be released, I have bought a stack of Perry Plastic 15th century figures with plans to build a company of mercenaries, then bought a stack of English and Irish to expand my Elizabethan Border Reiver collection into Ireland. Bought rules (Pikemans Lament) and various books, painted 4 figures and then reverted back to Great Northern War!

Sigh!

So anyway this is what I have been mostly painting lately.

Firstly some Polish Cavalry, these are Redoubt enterprises and Assault Group figures which go together well enough.



Not a massive fan of the particular horse the leader is riding but its the only one left and I like the figures other than that.

This will take me to seven units with a couple of figures left over. I also plan to get a unit of Polish Dragoons both mounted and dismounted, I already know what figures I plan to use. This will be a fairly time consuming piece with some head swaps etc but the new Ebor Russian Dragoons look fabulous so this may be the basis for both the Poles and possibly a unit of Saxons to replace the plastic Dragoon currently in use/ That takes me to 8 units and being light on Pancerni I plan to add a unit of Pancerni so I have a division of cavalry in three brigades of three units.

I then have the first of my next unit of Swedish foot. These are Jomkopings regiment. I have enough figures in Karpus for a battalion and a spare flag for this unit so it made sense. The cold weather gear on this Wargames Foundry figures is just the thing as I had to scrape the ice of my windscreen this morning. Will be a few weeks before this unit is finished.


Finally I am well into the second battalion of Saxon Regiment Pistoris.


I have tried to include a few more of the floppy hats which the Saxons wore in the early part of the conflict but most of m metal figure shave tricorne. I particularly like how the mid blue conrtasts with the madder red for this unit.

These are real mix of Wargames Factory (Now Warlord) plastics with Wargames Foundry and Ebor command mixed in with a couple of advancing Ebor musketeers too. Eleven completed out of 18, the other seven are part painted so hopefully have these over to the basing department in the next week or two.

So back on the Great northern War bandwagon. The stomach is not great at present so dont expect lots of painted figures to appear, but in the mean timer I have a couple of game after action reports to share I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. Looking good. Nice to see more GNW stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, lets see if I can remain focused.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, figures and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, hope to have these completed soon.

      Delete
  3. This is good! Stay strong!
    I'm doing a unit of swedes and going to start work on my command base of Johann Matthias von der Schulenburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately sticking with the GNW for a little while longer .......maybe

      Delete
  4. I enjoy seeing your GNW work. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, need to catch up wiht your Poles....or maybe I shouldnt try

      Delete