Tuesday 17 October 2023

Elizabethan and Mexican Workbench

The unimaginative title tells you what you need to know.

As the Elizabethan Ireland project heads towards completion the wargames butterfly is creeping in, in this case with some figures for a longer term future Mexican Adventure project.

Ireland first then, the project nears completion for phase 1, thats the English and Irish. I will add scots and at least 1 unit of Spanish, innevitibly Mission creep will set in but for now nearly there with the plan.

Photography is still a bit hit and miss so please bare with me.

Short of a couple of English commanders so this Timeline figure is a good addition, I have a dismounted version as well who will slot in to a company somewhere, possibly the Spanish.

This next Flags of War Heidman will be another leader or "Lord" in the rules, lovely figure, tis is a Perry plastic Wars of the Roses horse with pistol holsters added. The Flags of War horses are actualy lovely, however very rightly these are much smaller horses for border reivers and I felt the commander needed soemthign a bit grander. Fits really wel..
These three demi lancers will create a company, all Redoubt figures and actually very nice, the standard again Flags of War and I really like this. The right hand horse is redoubt the other two Perry plastics as I find the redoubt horses hit and miss.
A second unit of Demi lancers with a Flags of War pennon, again Redoubt figures on Perry plastic horses, a bit of work required to get these to fit but I like the end result. I have again added pistol holsters on most of these. Added to three demi lancer already complete and a company already based that will give me  4 companies of Demi Lancers, plenty I feel.
I really fancied a unit of longbows for my English, they still had them in the earlier Elizabethan period and they are something a bit different, these are mainly Darlo figures with a TAG archer back left. Really like these.
A couple of command figures will finish off a unit of Billmen for me, again Darlo figures and very nice sculpts these, This flag is from Redoubts range.
Moving to newer project, a bunch of Mexicans here, no particular plan to what I am painting for this yet, just enjoying adding figures and getting a head start for when I really want to progress it, 5 of these are from the Foundry range with one Perry Paraguayan doing service as a Republican regular. Simple gear makes these fairly quick and easy to paint.
Then four more Foundry Legionaires from the Camerone range. lovely characterful figures. Looking forward to eventually getting stuck into this project, it promises to be very colourful.

 The Elizabethan English then are 5 border Horse and a couple of Sword and Buckler men away from complete. Hopefully have these done in the next fortnight ahead of the Partizan demo game. Also hope to have a unit of Spanish targeteers and maybe a Highland scots unit of redshanks but lets see, border horse the priority here..

More soon, thanks for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. Great figures, I particularly like the Redoubt cavalry ones.
    Alan Tradgardland
    P.s the change of horses for them is one I might emulate…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, simple enough and the Perry Plastic horses are sold on seperate sprues pretty cheap.

      Delete
  2. Very nice as always Roger. How do you find mixing the Redoubt figures in with other ranges? I have a few Redoubt in a small Wellington in India collection and they are MASSIVE! They were Heroic 28mm when everyone else was still genuine 25mm, in my opinion!
    The Camerone stuff looks excellent to - do you have Capitaine D'Anjou with his wooden hand?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the Redoubt stuff is not as massive as the Indian stuff and soem of it very nice indeed. I ahve a couple of D'Anjou figures from Foundry and Gringo40s just need to decide which one to use.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done…..love the Elizabethans 🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, English and Irish completed now.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Roger…
    It’s nice to see that you have a healthy butterfly 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, sometimes it just has to go its own way Aly, 40mm again soon.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhh. Very nice. 👏👏
    I suspect your Mexicans will be able to do a fair bit of service - Maximilian adventure, numerous internal civil wars, campaigns against the Indian tribes, old West action and possibly even facing the Wild Bunch… ⚔️⚔️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Geoff, I do fancy getting some Apaches, other Indians and in particular (at a later date) Villistas

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Roj. The Redoubt Wellesley in India range, as I understand it, was à commission for someone so a unique scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I have some more Apache if you want to paint them! Cheers, Chris

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Darn I’ll paint them myself

      Delete
  8. Anyway I was thinking more like Yaki, wonder what figures would work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For Yaqui I reckon avoid bare chested and throw in a few sombreros. Be selective with figures and a few hat/head swaps

    ReplyDelete