Monday 23 October 2023

Another Elizabethan Irish Play Test, Another Ford!

With Partizan at the weekend we decided a quick play test to embed the rules would be good, so the English would once again be ambushed crossing a river.




A quick game planned to freshen up the rules for us ahead of Partizan. Steve would command the English with 10 companies, Chris was other side of the river with 5 Irish companies and I was this side with 6 companies.

The English had 2 companies each of Pike, Shotte, Demi Lancers and Border Horse, with one company of Longbows and another of Bills.

I had a unit of Kern Marksmen, another of Light Horse, 2 Kern and 2 Gallowglass, whilst Chris has 1 of Light Horse 2 Kern, a Gallowglass and a Bonnacht.
Being eager to press on I started too close and  I pushed my Irish on this side of the river forward and quickly realised I was in trouble. 6 units of Irish against 10 of English, Chris would have to be very quick to help me out.

Straight off I charged his Demi-Lancers with my light cavalry, if I allowed him to charge me I was doomed. Unfortunately this meant that my Marksmen had no target. The subsequent melee was inconclusive.
The rest of my foot pressed forward to try get in amongst the English and cause some mayhem, unfortunately that menat takign me right up to short range for the muskets.
Chris pressed on as quickly as possible but it was taking time to wade the river.
The volleys all told as did a flight of arrows from the longbows. The second unit of Demi Lancers charge into my Lord and his Bonnacht as did the pike unit. Things did not look great.

Chris had managed to block the bridge with his Bonnacht so Steve charged him with his Border Horse, another inconclusive melee ensued.
The river is still slowing down Chris with my reinforcements.
I charge the English shotte with my Galloglass and then my Kern charge their flank giving an immediate loss of resolve., taking them to 1 which is wavering they fall back I pursue and break them. First blood to the Irish.
Next melee and the Irish lose forcing a test on my Lord who is lanced through and dies tragically, the Bonnacht he commands immediately break and every unit remaining to me takes a loss of resolve .
Things quickly unravel as other units become wavering fall back and impact other units, which in turn break and force more resolve loss, the end result leaving me with just my marksmen remaining, unfortunately as they didnt have a target they ran out to try and stab the first unit of Demi-lancers int he back. My force is all but destoyed and Chris has barely got into contact with the English who now have 9 remaining units to finish of his 5.
Meanwhile Chris has charged the Border horse at the bridge with his own light horse and broken them, unfortunately they are far enough away this has no impact on the other English units who are now advancing on the remaining Irish.
On the right the Demi-Lancers and Billment quickly see of my Marksmen.
Steves remaining forces can now take their time to get organised and advance to see off the remainign Irish.


The Demi-lancers are the first to charge and they inflict heavy causalties on the Gallowglass.

Chris's second company of Gallowglass charge the Pike but they are devastating when charged frontally and quickly destroy the Gallowglass. 
Its all over bar the shouting.

With my force destroyed and Chris's own taking a battering the Irish conceded defeat and the English would march on to do whatever it was they planned on the other side of the river!

Another great game, I really like these simple but effective rules, helped by ensuring we get a result in a  nights gaming. Ready for Partizan.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Roger
    Nice to see another Irregulars Wars report with cool minis&table. Your previous posts on the rules help me a lot to take the plunge and order the book last week.
    Maybe you can help on the following :
    DId you play muskets and arquebuses as in the rulebook (stated as generic shot) or did you differentiate it ?
    Do you think that Irregular Wars can be use to represent combats between more "regular" armies : War of Religion, Flanders ? I know that my question is kind of contradictory as this is not the primary goal of the rules, but many of the units profiles seems to portray well the different troops involved.
    Thanks for sharing your great work.
    Regards,
    Alberto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alberto, quick answers yes I think the rules will work just fine with regular armies such as the French Wars of Religion, I am tempted to try Poles and Cossacks as I have a few already. I used the generic shot in the rules for the games so far but I am tempted to add an increased range for heavy muskets and see if it makes a difference to the game at all. Let you know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. Hi Roger,
      Thanks for your answers, I will keep an eye on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant looking figures and game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive Roger. I suspect that having won the victory the English will, fairly shortly, realise they don’t need to be on “that” side of the river and be hurrying back to “this” side. Probably chased by a swarm of Irish ☘️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking game and figures. I have the rules and find them most interesting.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, glad you are finding the rules interesting.

      Delete
  5. Another great report. I saw and enjoyed your display at Partisan even taking some of my own photos which I showed to the Virtual Wargames Club at our last meeting. Thanks for sharing what you're doing both at the Show and online.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stephen, apologies if we didnt get chance to chat, the game report for Partizan will follow shortly.

      Delete
  6. Looked like another excellent game Roger and quite realistic - impetuosity being a trait of the Celts, its quite believable they would spring their carefully laid ambush too early and suffer the consequences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or I just got carried away cheers.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoy gaming this conflict. The figures and the rules are a joy. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it Chris, couldnt do it with out you.

      Delete
  8. Splendid stuff Roger…
    I can’t believe I missed this at Partizan…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, we were immediatly next to the Perry's so no doubt their lovely game distracted you.

      Delete