Tuesday 14 June 2022

The Mexican Adventure, Release the Butterfly

I have wanted to do the French intervention in Mexico for a number of years, the beautiful French figures and the bewildering array of Mexican, Austrian, Belgian and other forces make it really interesting and colourful. But I was never quite satisfied with the ranges of 28mm figures available. The Foundry Camerone range showed promise but only gives you Mexican and Foreign Legion foot. Gringo 40's are lovely but dont mix with other ranges and have too many gaps to go it alone, equally the early Foundry range is now quite small compared with more modern figures and uses the traditional (at the time) process of the same figure multiple times over for a unit, not really my thing.

However the recent release of the Perry Triple Alliance and Franco Prussian ranges has given me the confidence that many of the gaps, particularly for suitable cavalry, will be filled by those ranges in due course so I thought I might get some test figures.

It wont surprise you to know I got carried away a little, Only a little though....... honest!

OK so very brief history to set the scene, after a Liberal government came into power in Mexico a bloody civil war ensued, the Liberal government was sucessful but skint to suspended debt payments to European powers. These sent naval forces and captured Vera Cruz to try get their money back. Britian and Spain quickly realised it was a non starter leaving France alone, Napoleon III however decided that this was a great opportunity.

With the support of the defeated Conservative element he sent in the French army then invited the brother of the Austrian Emperor to be the Emperor of Mexico leading to a very bloody intervention with the French only leaving after pressure both at home and from the USA after the ending of their Civil War. Interesting.

My first port of call once I have decided on a project and the ranges of figures is Ebay and Colonel Bills for second hand figures.

I picked up these Zoaves and Mexicans from Ebay, not a great paint job and the basing on the mexicans was awful but essentially the price of an unpainted figure with the benfit that the plastics are already built and the metals already primed.

I also picked up a couple of sprues from ebay, these Zoaves to add to the above along with some generic ACW figures to paint as Liberals in Kepi.



These next are Front Rank Spanish Guerillas, I think they will mix nicely with the Mexican irregulars and the lancers will work really well.
Also on ebay I found this lot of Gringo 40's Contras, apart from the officers they fit reasonably well size wise and will be a separate skirmisher unit anyway. The mini mule train will be useful.
This British officer is from Colonel Bills he has a separate head so a pack of Kepis will sort this out.
These old Foundry Zoaves also from Colonel Bills will flesh out the plastics and give me two units, one of Zoaves and one of Turcos.
This other unit is from Ebay.
A bunch of Foundry Fillibusters from Ebay will give me pretty much enough for a unit of Foreign Legionaires. All from the Foundry Camerone range.
These flags for the Alamo will be great for the Republican forces.
I also picked up a magazine from ebay with an article on the intervention, the uniform guide will be really useful.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the Eagle miniatures have some irregular Spanish lancers who will be great for Mexico too. Oddly the horse advertised to go with them is without a saddle and so are they but I reckon I have others I can press into service and this horse will work with the Front Rank riders.

I also picked up a couple of packs from the Perry Triple Alliance range. These guys in Kepi will be given a white uniform with blue kepi piped red for Republican foRces.

These Argentinians meanwhile are perfect for French and will probably be used for Chasseurs.
Lastly a few packs of Foundry Mexicans mainly in Sombrero to mix in. These will give a lot of character.
I took the opportunity to paint a couple up to share with you too. These two are Foundry Foreign Legion figures, I am not too keen on the chap with glasses, his face seems odd, the officer though I am really pleased with.
A mix of Mexicans to get us started all for the Republican side to start with.
I plan a whole unit in short Shako with blue jackets, need to do some more research to see if the pompoms were all red or different company colours like the French.
Simple uniforms and fairly quick to paint. Look well I think.
This chap may be mixed in with the others in Kepi or not, still undecided.

The Militia in Sombrero will firmly place the range in Mexico, I really like this off white colour.
So there you go, the Butterfly is in full flight with other stuff on the go as well. Out of control? Possibly.

More to follow, until then stay safe.

23 comments:

  1. It all sounds and looks very interesting Roger. I shall look forward to your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my projects in waiting. I've got a load of Mexicans already (from my Filibusters project) and some of the Foundry Legion figures painted up. I just need to build up more French/ Imperials. I've already got some foundry Zouave's but I was going to use the Perry argentinians as well. Have you considered the Artizan Chasseurs D'Afrique from their March or Die range for French Cavalry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I think it was Rich of Toofatlardies fame who wrote the WI articles about the French Intervention. I think there are 3 in total.

      Delete
    2. I will check out the Artizan Chasseurs D'afrique thanks for that, recently bought some Perry ones from the Franco Prussian range but if these are nicer....

      Delete
    3. I did think there was more than one article, that said the Viva Juarez books give me most of what I need.

      Delete
  3. A cool project one with a lot of research done. I had also thought a lot about the period, following this with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, slow burner this one but I am lookign forward to it.

      Delete
  4. You will need Capitaine d'Anjou and his wooden hand! Thats about all I know of this conflict, and the fact that Camerone inspired Camerone Day which is still marked each year by La Legion Étranger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Camerone range was one of my starting points from Foundry.

      Delete
  5. Always good to see a new project underway. Looking forward to following this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, will be slow to start with I suspect.

      Delete
  6. Lovely painting (yes the figure in glasses does have an odd face like a Beano character) Roj. I’ll watch with interest - hopefully not so much interest that I finally give in and dip into the Boothill range for cavalry - and maybe bring my Mexicans and Apaches thru to Steve’s? Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know its too late, I can see a Boot hill order on its way already.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a plan, I can envisage a slightly mad game with French, Mexicans, US Cavalry and Apaches all doing their thing. I am tempted by the Vaquero's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boot Hill order placed. I can blame you right?

      Delete
    2. It was always going to be my fault Chris, pick me up some Vaqueros

      Delete
  8. nice work. surprised Ebay is still a source of figures. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find if I am patient for a month or two I can pick up enough from Ebay or Colonel Bills to give me a good head start. Not quite what it was a few years ago perhaps.

      Delete
  9. If you don’t mind me asking, what is the magazine you picked up from eBay? The Mexican Adventure/intervention uniforms look interesting, so it would be nice to add to my collection. Many thanks,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff this is from Wargames Illustrated number 136, apparantly there were 3 on the subject.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Roger. Luckily someone on eBay had a small lot of all those issues featuring the articles about the Mexican Adventure. So now they’re heading to a new home with me in sunny Sheffield. 🤣😀
      Thanks again.
      Geoff

      Delete
    3. Not too far from me Geoff in Gods own County

      Delete