Wednesday 1 June 2022

French 40mm Ligne and Legere Completed

 Bit of a mad rush to get these guys completed prior to our first game, really pleased with the end results.

3 Groups of 8 Ligne and the first group of 6 Legere skirmishers with commanders.

I am pleased with the Legere, I will have at least another Skirmish unit possibly two of these and it has made me consider whether I do the last units of Marching French as Light Infantry Carbinier rather than the Paris Municipal Guard. 

A debate for another day perhaps.

As with the other troops I have gone for a Campaigny look with different coloured shako covers and trousers. The two all in Blue do look particularly nice though I think. A couple like this in each unit will look great.

I have gone for the 16me legere who unusually had red piping rather than white and saw quite a bit of action in Spain.

This particular figure is one of my favourites, I think it came out quite well.
The Ligne have progressed really well, the first figure is the Major commanding on his horse, lovely dynamic figure with a bit of detailign on the base.

The first three groups of Ligne are complete and for now each group has its own pompom colour. They look really nice all in line.
In column of companies forst are the command group with the colours all in yellow pompoms.
The group with orange pompom came out nice, each unit having at least one figure in sleeved waistcoat.

Lastly blue pompoms this one I think came out nice, the Bonnet de Police adds variety to the units.

So thats the first 3 and I expect to add 2 more groups of 8 and a further officer in the near future, happy with how they turned out and pretty much enough for a small game now so watch out for the next post.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff there Roger...I have always liked the all blue Legere uniform, and the officer is superb, I particularly like the way you have painted his horse, as well as the excellent work on the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I am very tempted to make my other formation lLegere Carabiniers. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Yep I agree they are lovely. I think that you need to buy lots, lots more ;-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By coincidence Chris.........watch this space.

      Delete
  3. Nice job, can't wait to see the other groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phinster the gamer, first game played and game report with lots of pictures on its way.

      Delete
    2. Skirmishers in pairs look great!

      Delete
    3. Thanks very much Steve, initially it was purely practical to protect the figures but as they fought in pairs and you can position them nicely together on a round base I think it really works.

      Delete
  4. They look great Roger…
    I like the 16th Legere with the red piping.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, tempted to add a formation of the 16th Legere.

      Delete