Sunday 3 April 2022

First 40mm Spanish Guerilla's based and a change to Skirmish basing

 I now have enough Spanish Guerilla's to make make it worth while basing them. However a trip over to Steve's showed me how vulnerable to damage singly based figures are, so after re-painting some to cover the damage I have decided to rebase all my skirmishers onto 40mm round bases with two figures per base. Only leaders will remain singly based.

I set up a quick photo shoot again using towels in the bedroom. The lighting works well and its about the figures not the terrain.

I have 8 Guerillas and 2 Leaders so far, a mix of Perry and Sash and Sabre miniatures, I also pressed a resin cottage into service which fts in quite well size wise.
This left hand figure is Sash and Sabre and I am quite pleased with him, the other three are Perry with the figure in Bonnet de Police being a head swap.
The leader is also Sash and Sabre, not a great figure but ok for now. the last base here is a Sash and Sabre figure with a Perry kneeling firing.
I thought the monks might look good based together, both Perrys with a further Sash and Sabre commander, much nicer figure this one, the hands and weapons come separate and I think the pair of pistols works really well.
Here are the leaders again, I much prefer the left hand figure.

Lastly a shot of the first six man Skirmish unit of Guerillas, I intend to have 3 of these.
The French have been re-based, I actually think they look better as well as being a bit safer.
I can pair them up in a way thats a bit more visually stimulating. Works for me anyway.
These are all the voltiguers I will have with my line, I will though have plenty of Legere in skirmish order soon too, two maybe even three units.
Lastly rebased are the 60th rifles. Again, I much prefer the look of them in pairs.


I have tried to ensure each base has a figure firing whilst the other is loading or moving which fits how these troops behaved.

All done, I have no excuse not to paint some more French. Hopefully have some done soon.

14 comments:

  1. Superbly done. I also think 2 to a base looks better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed and basing is a matter of personal choice as long as it works with the chosen ruleset. I thought your individually based figures looked very nice and individuals would seem to be the logical way to fight skirmish games - although in Napoleonic times, pairs in Fire and Manouevre sets will work equally well I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basing will work fine, based individually made sense but the damage inflicted by one 20 minute car journey really made me re-consider.

      Delete
  3. It looks very well. After looking at your figures I bought some for myself too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Bartek, will you share them somewhere?

      Delete
    2. Yes, on my blog, when I will finish them ;)

      Delete
    3. Great, I have ended up with lots of spares, feel free to shout before you go looking for extra heads etc.

      Delete
  4. Nicely painted…the double basing is an interesting idea ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, used the doubles first for AWI skirmishers and it looked right so decided it was a god fit.

      Delete
  5. Just gorgeous minis Roj. You know my thoughts on pairing of skirmishers. It's right for more reasons than it's wrong! Really looking forward to having a game with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fingers crossed Chris, couple of weeks.

      Delete