Monday 26 March 2018

More Cossacks for 1812

I have over the last week been able to work on some more of the  Pery Cossacks for the retreat from Moscow and finshed six off today. That gives me 16 finished which is two units for Sharp Practice.

My stomach issue has re-surfaced recently so I have been busy with anything to keep the project moving that doesn't involve painting until last week.

These particular figures were acquired from fellow wargamer Mike Holgate. Mike saw my add on the League of Augsburg forum and got in t ouch as he had a lot of Perry and Foundry figures suitable for the retreat he wanted to part company with. A fellow Yorkshireman also meant it was easy to trip over to his house and pick the figures up, whilst avoiding his decorators who had just painted all his woodwork.

He also had a wonderful collection of his own for the Retreat from Moscow all painted and based to a high standard. If I bought other peoples work I would have invested but as it is I satisfied myself with a shed load more of lead. Anyone interested in Mikes collection get in touch I will be happy to put you in touch.
The four brown horses in the centre were something of an experiment.. Usually I prime horses white, add a base colour in acrylic lighter than desired, paint an oil on slightly darker than required then wipe it off which gives a lovely effect.

I trialled warpainter spray primers in brown with great results (although the nozzle flooded and paint went everywhere for some reason) as I use Halfords as primers I was keen to see if any of their coloured sprays worked. I added a thin layer of white primer then a thin layer in this case of antelope beige. It frightened the pants off me to start off with as it was both thick and shiny. However the end result is actually very nice I feel.

I still haven't resolved my basing dilemma so after a quick photo shoot these chaps are straight into my painted figures box with their comrades. Once base size is resolved I need to decide on the look (snowy I suppose) then teach the basing department how I want them. Based units may be a couple of months off with that in mind.

That said with the figures acquired from Mike, plus ebay, Foundry direct and chum Jerry I have about 98% of everything I need. I just need to get them painted.


I hope you like these, I am enjoying painting the Cossacks in particular.

Next I want o do a post covering my thoughts on basing and then we have a Sharp Practice game to play at Steves place as I want to see if I like it for the retreat.

See you soon.

8 comments:

  1. They look great. I'm keen to see how your complete force looks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might take a while but I will keep you informed as we go Jim Bob

      Delete
  2. These look great! I imagine a snowy base would be required yes. ๐Ÿ˜€

    Out of curiosity, why not buy painted figures? I’ve bought painted figures and it’s saved me oceans of time on some projects. However I’m pretty much a mediocre painter myself so almost anyone else’s paint job is better. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, yes snowy bases with the odd bit of log or bush poking through. In answer to your question I ma as much a modeller and painter as a gamer so this part is one of the most enjoyable for me. Plus buying other peoples work never quite matches. I have two donated sled guns with lovely paint jobs by chum Jerry but I will still tweak them to make them mine.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic atmosphere to present these beautiful cossacks, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, opportunity to get the snow matt out.

      Delete