Tuesday 16 July 2024

Re-Visting the Sikh Wars Project

 For some time we have been talking about  progressing the Sikh Wars project.

In terms of figures its maybe 2 thirds or even 3 quarters complete, as a big project that does mean lots left to do. I have not been able to muster much enthusiasm for the project, mainly due to an inability to find rules we were happy with. We have used Black Powder which works but is too vanilla for most of us, Mad Dogs and Englishmen seemed to offer something better but had some areas we were unhappy with. We finally agreed we would need to write our own and pinch the elements from other sets we liked.

The arrival of Helions Khalsa book for my birthday got me a bit enthused to re-visit this, great book so far, I may review on here once completed. So I have started work on the rules and also made some inroads into the lead mountain. A few examples below for you.

There are a mix of manufacturers, regulars here will know I like that, particularly with irregular troops. The troops are also intended for different units, a Pathan tribal unit and a Sikh one.

All three Pathans are plastics, with the outer two being Wargames Atlantic and the middle one Perrys, particularly like this figure, the flag comes with the plastic box set. 

The Sikhs are a mix of metals and plastics, left to right plastic Perry with WW2 Sikh head, Metal Foundry, Plastic Perry leader again with WW2 head, Foundry metal and finally Old Glory metal. I love the old Foundry figures, the leader is quite nice but chum Chris pointed out he has Zombie eyes so I may need to re-visit this one. 
I have a few Sikh cavalry to finish, maybe 20 or so. These Armoured Gorchurra are the first of a last unit of 10, hopefully.
All Foundry figures, lots of bright colours on these lvoely figures.
To give you an idea below are my irregular horse, armoured, un-armoured, Sikh and Muslim (armoured units are the four on the right). I have perhaps 3 units to finish this lot off assuming I don't go off on one and buy some more!

Second rules playtest to follow soon, I will keep you updated and as always thanks for stopping by.




9 comments:

  1. Some interesting additions. It's always good to get re-enthused about a project. I wish you well with the rule writing perhaps I should do the same for another of my periods but admit home grown rules can have as many dissatisfactions as commercial ones but at least you know where you want to get and you're completely free to change things. [Also 2nd, 3rd etc editions don't cost you cash just time and thought]
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff Roger - and that is an impressive cavalry force at the end of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy seeing your Sikh War figures, a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, couple more game reports to follow.

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures as ever Roger. Good luck with the rule writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, need to not get distracted by the Williamite Jaconite wars in Ireland.

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff and a very impressive cavalry contingent. I need to check out the war games Atlantic cavalry scale wise ?

    ReplyDelete