Sunday 5 May 2024

Additions for 1920 Poland

As mentioned before my next project is going to be Russo-Polish War 1920.

I have made a small start on figures but also decided to add some more support, vehicles are on of the few things I outsource for painting, Rich Croisdale does a far better job than me and with my gut still recovering I can use the help.

The Polish Legionaire is also a new addition but in these images for scale.

The Car is an Erhardt German Armoured Car with late war German camoflauge. They had a large crew of 9 I believe with multiple MGS.


In terms of figures I have focused on the Polish Legionnaires in their Pike grey Uniform, I have 10 painted so need another 23 and an MG to complete a battalion.

The figures are a mix of Studio Siberia and Woodbine (By Gripping Beast) Studio Siberia are bespoke Polish figures for this conflict whilst the Woodbine figures are actually WW1 Turks. 
Both manufacturers produce the figures with separate Heads and I invested in a  bunch of Studio Siberia Polish heads alongside British, French and generic heads from Woodbine.

These four are Studio Siberia, three have Polish caps and the one in the coat has a Woodbine British soft cap, this one is the least Polish looking I think so I wont use many of these caps. 
The rest are all Turks from Woodbine with Polish heads, the cut of the Uniform, the webbing and rifle all lend themselves to the Poles.
Pretty happy with these, just a few to do to complete a unit. 

Talking of which, heres a few more.

Particularly like the officer, he will be on a seperate leader base.
No doubt more to follow soon.
Realised as I am adding narrative that I neglected to crop most of these

Next two give you more of an idea of the Woodbine figures, I like the bomber with the bandaged head.

The Studio Siberia Miniatures are lovely too and very dynamic if a bit chunkier.


A close up of the officer.

With the Turkish MG the heads are cast on so a bit of surgery required before I can add the Polish heads, really pleased with the end result though.
Altogether these guys will finish off the Legionnaire battalion.
And here they are ready for basing with the MG and command base separate. Hopefully on table in the not too distant future.



Thanks for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. These look great Roger, and the converted Turks look just right...wonderful job all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much really happy so far.

      Delete
  2. Really like the look of the figures. I'd never gave guessed they were Turks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, its surprising what a different head and paint job can achieve

      Delete
  3. An unusual topic. There is no shortage of periods in which to find these two opponents in conflict. It's quite a history.
    The paintwork on the vehicle looks splendid and the variety in the figures quite an achievement - your paintwork really brings the unit together.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice looking and a fascinating period. Very tempted after I saw That Polish movie Battle for Warsaw 1920 or something like that. You will need a priest of course. Colin A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a cracking film Colin, Priest I think likely although not sure where to find best one.

      Delete
  5. Very nice indeed Roger…
    I do like the Erhardt German Armoured Car…in fact most of the vehicles fore this period are interesting.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly more vehicles to follow, new one just arrived in the post today.

      Delete
  6. Hey mate. They look top and Rich has done a fab job of the armoured car. You’ll have to give me some ideas for Polish special rules for TotW. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food for thought, I have a couple of ideas, mostly stuff that can be scenario specific.

      Delete
  7. Not often found on the table period, good work matching uniforms and hat choices in the various figure company types. Looking forward to the battles generated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pancerni, got a fair bit more painting before we can sort a game but making good progress.

      Delete
  8. Well done! I wouldn't think of turning Turks into Poles. It turned out great, and I look forward to further entries on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Bartek, picked up some Scheltrum figures to mix in, share outcomes soon.

      Delete