Sunday 22 May 2022

Workbench update, more 40mm Peninsular

So getting back into the painting over the bank holiday weekend.

These three French Ligne give me a group of 8 with yellow pom poms and enough for a formation of 3 groups of 8 so 24 figures.

The two marching figures came out very well, the drummer a bit less so, one of the very few castings in the range I am not keen on, that said I couldnt do a good job on the painting despite re-painting after the first attempt, I may hide him in the second row, shh dont tell anyone!


With the Ligne well underway I wanted some Light Infantry Skirmishers so here are the first of the Legere, firstly this officer, he came out OK the face seems a bit clumsy, definately my painting rather than the casting in this case.

Most of these Legere figures have come out well, I am pleased with the left hand two here, although I realised later that the centre figure needed white metal shako badge and chin straps, the right hand figure is ok, but not quite as nice.

These figures were all bought second hand built but not painted from the late great Ian Smith, the centre figure has a different set of arms attached to give him a totally different look to the original figure. Ian did some fantastic conversions.


So once these are based we are ready for the first game, onwards and upwards.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed. I do like the look of the covered bicorne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, wasnt sure initially but I have coem to like it.

      Delete
  2. They are looking very nice Roger…
    I must admit that I am very tempted by 40mm Napoleonics…
    They would work well with the Song of Drums and Shakos rules .

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I agree I think they really lend themselves to skirmish and smaller actions like Drum and Shakoes or Sharp Practice.

      Delete
  3. Clearly you’re getting a great deal of enjoyment from painting these. Lovely stuff mate. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving it, may give myself a break shortly though.

      Delete
  4. More nice additions to the 40mm collection - like Aly, I could easily be tempted to get "a few" (ah, but would it be,,,really?!) either Napoleonics or AWI 40mm for skirmish level games a la Sharpes Practice. I am looking forward to seeing your figures take their first steps on the field of honour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, not long now, first game report in the drafts.

      Delete
  5. You get lovelly effect on those figures. Larger scale allow to show more details, which mean more fun with painting them. Waiting for more ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks veyr much Bartek, sharing the completed French Ligne and Legere units all based up then the first battle report soon.

      Delete