Monday 19 October 2020

More off the Workbench for the 45

 I am really enjoying painting these figures for the 1745 rising, some wonderful sculpts and fun to paint too.

A nice mix with the regulars for both sides, the simple paints of the lowlanders and the challenge of the tartan for the highlanders.

Wiht this next lot I have a decent mix of all of these although no recoats on foot this time. I did manage to finish my first group of Dragoons however.

These five added to the other four of Cobhams give me a group of 8 with leader. Pretty happy with them to be honest.

You will recall that after some experimenting and frustration I left off the black piping through the middle of the white border on the saddle cloth and holster covers. For the same reason I have also left it off the white lace of the drummer. Again this is really frustrating for me and no doubt some readers may feel more effort should have been taken, my only defence is that it looks better than my attempst to add it.

Part of me wishes I had done Kingstons Horse instead. No drummer at all there, although it does mean this chap would have been wasted. Kingstons did also see a lot of outpost action making them ideal for the smaller scale actions that suit Black Powder so well.
The officer is a cracking figure and will be based on a seperate base as a leader, the drummer will sit within the 8 figure unit along with the standard bearer and 6 troopers.
The Royal Ecossais are making great progress with four more musketeers and the standard bearers. I have pinched a piper from another pack and may incorporate him into this unit to free up one of the command figures. These flags are just wonderful.
This gives me 12 complete Royal Ecossais, I want 26 really, thats 3 groups of 8 and two leaders. I will need to pick up two packs loading from the next release to flesh out the unit and finish it off once I paint the next lot of 4 kneeling firing.
The farm by the way is the Hudson and Allan walled farm which fits in quite nicely for these guys I feel.
This is the Lowlander command pack all with Jacobite white cockades accompanied by a loyalist Sergeant of the Glasgow regiment.
The sergeant started life as an Ebor Russian pikeman for Great Northern War, I gave him a halberd and a head swap and I think he looks quite nifty.
The Lowlanders are a really nice pack of figures the standard bearer with a longer coat is possibly my favourite amonst these.
I have been putting off the highlanders, mainly as the tartan takes a bit more time but I do need to start mixing some of these guys in. Below are a mix of Flags of War, Front ranka dn Redoubt Enerprises.
The tartan patterns are very simple and more of  anod towards tartan than anythign particularly complicated, my understanding is that is probably fairly accurate anyway for the normal clansmen.
These two are Redoubt Enterprises and I have another 25 or so of these picked up form ebay. They come with a sepeate torso and legs so there is a lot of variety, he figures are very dynamic and the plaids do look to be sweepign around them as they charge, some of the heads however let them down a little. They are from the English Civil War range so dont have muskets and bayonets, they probably fit my Elizabethan collection at leats as well as the 45, they may get used for both. 

The two musketeers are Flags of War, these guys in jackets charging with fixed bayonets are very much how I see the maority of Clansmen after Prestonpans at the latest, I will be doing more of these.
I have done most of these first lot in plain jackets, I may add some patterned ones in later.
The shot figures is from Front Rank, still very nice figures despite beign a few years ol now. they should fit in size and  build wise althought the style is of course quite different.

So there you go, plenty of progress, hope to have more Royal Ecossais and Highlanders for you soon. I also want to have  aproper look at how I am going to base these guys very soon.

See you soon, stay safe.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice Roger. Highly recommend picking up "Like Up Hungry Wolves" by Stuart Reid & Gerry Embleton - supperb illustrations and inspiration aplenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, Like Hungry Wolves is my go to book for this period love it, you are bang on very inspirational.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work and the tartan looks great on the highlanders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, trying to keep the tartans simple till I get my eye in.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You are too kind Phil, appreciate the support thank you.

      Delete
  4. Inspirational stuff Roj. I must get some highlanders painted! Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, got a few more of these comign off the workbench soon before I get stuck into some more redcoats.

      Delete