Sunday 2 February 2020

Cold War at Legendary Wargames

We were invited to a game at the cabin by Andy and Richard of Legendary Wargames in the Bronte Country Moors above Bradford. A 1970's cold war gone Hot game played across three huge tables over three days with a massive volume of beautiful kit.

The game was being played for some paying customers in the near future and a few of us were invited to play test it for the guys so they could ensure the customers had a great experience.



The game had already got going on Thursday with the initial set ups and a couple of moves in, I was to take over the NATO left flank and some the Russian tanks coming on were already burning. I had a battalion of British troops, a squadron of Stryker anti tank missiles and a squadron of chieftains which actually never fired a shot in anger all game. I would also command the Territorials and East Germans further back on table two if the Russians attacked from our flank.
The Russians had lots of kit and it looked great, the NATO forces had less but generally better quality.



Move one and the Russians advanced through the town my infantry were occupying and up to the edge of some rough ground, in my reserve fire I am able to take out one light tank and one T64 along with about half a company of Russian infantry. The Russians respond in my turn by taking out my too Karl Gustav teams and damaging one of the houses I occupy. In my turn my wombat and Strykers fire again taking out two more Russian the rest of the exposed infantry company then shelling a further unit of foot. Mike is doing nothing wrong but my dice are great and his are awful. Sorry Mike.
On the other flank the Russians are faring no better and in the centre have stalled under pressure from Richard and Brian. Dave decided to lighten the mood a bit for his comrades when he finds a Russian fur hat.



Russian go and they continue to stream forward, Mike gets a strike from a jet fighter which does manage to take out half of my Wombat crew. He attacks on of the buildings I occupy and destroys the company defending it, occupying it with his own troops having reduced it to rubble first.




In our go we get a number of fighters but only cause minimal damage, however I am able to concentrate fire on the two Russian companies in the newly won house with artillery, mortar and infantry fire and destroy two more companies of them. My Strykers have fired their three shots and retire to reload for tomorrows game.





Mikes next jet targets my retreating Strykers but a lucky shot from my Blowpipe team sees it blown from the sky. Meanwhile Dave and Richard L on the Russian left continue to push forward aggressively.
Whilst this is happening Andy is busy bringing reinforcements onto to table 3, a Russian Para drop is imminent and we want to try have something available to contain it should it land in our extreme rear.

We break for a traditional lunch of Pies, Chips and peas with cakes for desert before bringing our steaming mugs of tea back into the lodge for round two.
The afternoon gets underway and Chris flowers starts to push his infantry forward on foot to try flush the NATO forces out.
The system for air superiority is the roll of two dice by both sides, the higher gets greater superiority next go and the gap between rolls decides by how far you are superior. As my dice have been great Rich C passes the roll to me and I roll double 6! The Russians get above average with 7 so we have great superiority but not total superiority.
On table three Andy brings a regiment of armoured infantry on to support his defence in depth. I just love the British vehicles of this period.
Table two gets reinforcements too int he shape of a regiment of chieftains, much to the groans of the Russians and who can blame them.
At this point Mike appears on my flank on table 2 with East Germans, they bump straight into a company of territorials and a company of West Germans and take casualties from reserve fire.

On the Russian left flank Daves armour has driven into the woods only to be ambushed by infantry with anti tank weapons and loose three tanks in succession.

At this point we start to run out of daylight and pack up our things. Half of the team will be returning tomorrow to finish the game but I unfortunately have other plans. It feels like the writing is on the wall for the Eastern bloc so I grab a couple more snaps of the beautiful collection.


Thanks Andy and Rich of Legendary Wargames, your customers are in for a treat.

For anyone interested their website is here https://legendarywargames.com/ highly recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Cheers Roger. Much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed your day at Legendary Wargames.

    ReplyDelete