Wednesday 31 July 2019

Sikh Wars Progress

I have managed a reasonable amount of painting in recent weeks, one of the beneficiaries being my Sikh Wars project.

By a happy coincidence this beauty turned up as I was taking photos of the latest batch. At first glance its looks great, some wonderful artwork and also interesting sketches I have not seen before along with many that I have.  Reading the first few pages it also seems very well written.
I also picked up this first hand account of the First Anglo Sikh War from a staff Seargent in the Bengal Horse Artillery, it gets a good review and the language was apparently Kipling's inspiration for Soldiers Three, should be interesting.

Looking at previous posts you might already be aware I have been converting Perry's Plastic British Light Dragoons to make a unit of Governor Generals Bodyguard, these are the last four, I even tried my hand at modelling moustaches on two which have come out better than expected. The troopers mounts are metal from Mutineer miniatures whilst the officers horse is from the Perry's Plastic pack with a tail added with green stuff. Hopefully the basing department will be back on form next month and I can present you with the based unit complete.

This officer is also a minor conversion that didnt go quite so well but is OK. Its actually a Wargames Foundry Heavy Dragoon officer from the Crimean range with a had swap and painted as a Light Dragoon.
These chaps are Perrys Carlist Wars British Legion figures painted up as British Line for the Indian Army, the Officer I just realised has yellow cuffs and belongs with the Sepoy's below. However added to those already painted this gives me one third of a battalion so progress.
The Sepoys are all Wargames Foundry with the flank company on the roof, wit the addition of the officer this is again a third of a battalion. If I can get another three of each of these done I will feel like I have made progress having got 50% over the line.
Two more Sikh Dragoons gives me six out of a unit of ten. Really happy with how thee figures have come out, the colour scheme just seems to work.
And here they all are together. If I can finish each of these unit I have a good basis for a game with the Honourable East India Company Troops having two brigades each of horse and foot to game with.
So I will do a few more of these but as we plan a big Great Northern War game for late August I am contemplating whether I need to get any more units completed for it. Ideally another unit of Polish Pancerni and maybe some Polish Dragoons. Then again I would love to have a few more Swedes and Saxons

I better get a shift on!

9 comments:

  1. Looks great! The GG's Bodyguard conversions came out really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I think I ma as happy as I am going to get with them, just need the basing department to give up one of her three jobs and get them finished.

      Delete
  2. Hi mate. The GGBG look super. Sikh regular dragoons, and also cuirassiers, are very well dressed. Is the headswap bloke's head just too far forward? He does look like a bad celeb photoshop ;-) Let me have a look at him in the flesh. I may have a better head you can use if it's a size issue
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will bring him along to the next game Chris, see what you think. Wiht me its always a size issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not ponder your size issue here! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some lovely looking toys Roger...
    Another colourful period... all so tempting.

    All the best Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly a period I simply cant resist. I had them years ago and sold the collection to put food on the table when the kids were little. Made a good friend in the process.

      Delete