Thursday 18 July 2019

Antideluvian Kern and other Troops for Ireland

I saw these by Antediluvian Miniatures and had to get them.http://www.antediluvianminiatures.com/

Beautiful figures by the very talented Mr Hicks and georgous in their own right.

They are based on this contempory engraving of a group of Irish fighting in the Netherlands I believe during the Elizabethan era so bang on for what I needed. I have put off painting them for a while to be honest, I wasnt sure I would do them justice.
I am reasonably happy with the end result, they are simple to paint as most figures in this collection they dont have lots of lace etc and I really enjoyed painting them. Not 100% happy with the paint job but they are not too far off what I wanted to achieve.
This chap in the shaggy cloak is probably my favourite sculpt of the four. I decided to keep the colour pallette broadly similar to the original but used darker richer colours. I think this one in particlar is very evocotive.
This chaps helmet is unusual but I have seen it before so I am happy its accurate, the spear is a bit bendy on this figure but again a lovely sculpt.
This chap really does capture the Dour Gallowglass with the nice added touch of the bow. It cant of taken me more than 15 miniutes in total to paint this chap its such a simple paint job. Probably the one that came out best in terms of the paint job.
The last one is a simple Kern with glave, again really simple 15 minute paint job and pleased with the outcome. These will now join the que for the basing department.

Whilst I was at it I thought I might also try and reduce the lead pile for the English. Here are 2 Graven Images and one Foundry figure. I particularly like the standard bearer who looked a bit rubbish before the paint started going on to be honest. The first swordsman is from the Foundry Sea Dogs and Swashbucklers range, he fits in quite well and I added a buckler from the Perry's plastic Wars of the Roses set. The last figure again being a swordsman, this last is a dismounted Reiver, a spare figure to mix in with my forlorn hope of sword and buckler men. For those wanting a comparison this shows how well the Foundry and Graven Images figures mix (or not as you like)

The last three are also Foundry Sea Dogs, Pikemen of which I had quite a lot to finish until recently. I like how these came out, the middle figure is a head swap with the Hoka Hey demi lancer to add some variety to the figures. It looks OK I think.

That just leaves me with about a dozen figures left for this project although I do need to get them all together once they are based and see if there are any gaps.

Getting closer to a game for these now.

8 comments:

  1. Figures look great. How do the Antediluvian figures compare in size to Hoka Hey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey are much smaller, a good fit for Perry for instance.

      Delete
  2. Well I can't tell where anyone should not be 100% happy with those paint jobs. Great work Roj. I'm a big fan of Mr Hicks' work too. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting, scenery...and flag!

    ReplyDelete