Sunday 10 December 2017

Saxo-Polish Workbench

So with the basing department home for the weekend I thought better give her a present to take back to snowie York. What better than a couple of u units to base. I know all heart thats me.

I thought I might at the same time discuss my amended plans for the Great Northern War project. You will, I am sure have guessed this does not mean its getting smaller!

These guys are my third and final unit of Polish Light Cavalry. This takes me to 7 units finished for the Poles. I have decided a division of 3 Brigades, each of three units would makea nice Polish force, so 9 units altogether. Historically usually 2 thirds of the Polish Cavalry were Panceni and the other third a split between the winged Hussars and light cavalry often with with a unit of Dragoons attached. However the figures I have been able to pick up cheap have generally dictated the volume of each troop type
Once finished the Poles will be 3 units each of Panceni and Light Cavalry, 2 of Winged Hussars and a unit of mounted and dismounted Dragoons.
 For the Saxons I have finished the second battalion for regiment Pistoris, that will take me to 6 battalions. I think this particular colour scheme works really well.

Still a long way to go with the Saxons. I will have either 10 or 12 battalions of these troops so I am just about half way. For the horse I want 2 units of Currasier and 1 of Dragoons. The good news is I have these finished now. The bad is I have decided to replace the plastic Warlord cavalry with metals, probably using Ebor figures which are veyr nice.
Having got hold of quite a few metal figures including a battalion of advancing Ebor Musketeers, the next few battalions will have  agreater mix of metal figures. This unit only has 6 plastic.
So where does that leave us in terms of the forces I will be collecting to finish my project and what is the completed force going to look like?

For the Saxons 10-12 foot and 3 horse will be about enough as mentioned above.

For the Poles 9 units of horse (as a pose to the initial 3 or 4 I planned!)

The Cossacks are finished, unless I add a light gun for them. 4 units of horse and 2 of foot that can essentially fight for either side (as can the Poles)

For the Russians 2 units each of horse and foot, this means I just need to paint another unit of foot to complete them. Having recently picked up some guns from ebay I will also add a gun to the Russians.

This may not seem many troops to take on the Swedes but when you consider that chums Dave and Mark are collecting the allies, Dave will have 16 units of Russian foot plus horse and guns, Mark already has the same for the Danes plus a Prussian Brigade, you can see that my attention needs to be firmly on the Swedes.

My initial plan for the Swedes was 12 battalions of foot and 10 of horse with 3 guns.

The initial guns and foot required are finished along with 6 of the 10 horse. I am waiting on the release of Warfares Swedish horse to finish off the original plan.


I also have a few figures left over, enough to do at least one and a half more battalions. I have then picked up some Foundry figures from Ebay, this gives me enough for a further 2 battalions.If I pick up soem more command packs and some foot to add variety that will take me to 16 battalions which can be split into 4 brigades of 4.

I will then need to add a further gun (I have one just need the crew) plus a further four units of horse on top of the four I am already missing.

This will take me to 16 foot, 14 horse and 4 guns.

So still a long way to go.

In fact 11 units of horse, 11 units of foot and 4 guns to go. Plus a few Generals too.

Better get cracked on then!

10 comments:

  1. I tip my hat to you sir!
    Amazing stuff!

    I too am waiting for Warfare's new Swedish cavalry, I have just placed the order for the new Russian Cavalry. And the Russian brigade deal so lots of Russians on my painting horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing those Truls. My mate Dave is doing the Russsians so I wont be getting any more myself at this stage.

      Delete
  2. It inspires me. Thanks. I want to brag that at me has turned out: http://pb-wg.blogspot.ru/search?updated-max=2017-12-10T01:12:00-08:00&max-results=7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Jomkoping regiment is excellent, this is the next Swedish unit I will be working on too.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding job, they look wonderful...Painting, basing, flags, all is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding work. Look forward to seeing the new additions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be Christmas now when the basing department is back again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a plan Roger. All the figures look really nice.
    Now, being the devil that I am, did you know that Warfare are teasing that they may be releasing Ottomans soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get thee behind me Satan Robinson!!! Although with careful selection I could get troops to fight the Russians/Swedes/Poles and the French in Egypt, agh what have you done........

      Delete