Saturday, 25 July 2026

Not Another One! New Boer War Project

I know, I know, I have zero self control.

I have fancied a large skirmish game with Boers for some time, the Foundry figures are still nice but the range has become limited and is much smaller than most other stuff you can get. So when 1st Corps announced release of their range I got all excited and bought  a bunch of stuff to use and also to convert for The Second Anglo-Boer War. 

A quick stock take gave me 4 books and a 1920's school boy atlas. 9 Foundry Boer rider without horses, mainly the same figure and a couple of Old Glory mounted Boers. I also found a whole bunch of spare heads, Bush hats and bandaged heads from Woodbine WW1 alongside a number of ACW hats, picking through the best fits I have plenty to help with conversions but will need a whole lot more of the Aussie Bush hat with turned up sides to convert mounted infantry.

I picked up an Ebay lot of dismounted Zulu War Empress Boers who are very nice and have the advantage of separate heads with spare heads and then hunted through my figures for civilians in 20th century suits and bolt action rifles to convert. Three Partisans with Mausers worked.

I then had a look through existing ranges to support the 1st Corps release. Foundry have ACW horse holders that fit well and a pack or two from their Mafeking range that fits, I bought another book at the same time.

Northstar have few figures and some WW1 British cavalry that should convert well to Commonwealth mounted rifles.

Footsore Irish Civil War figures look ripe for conversion so a few packs of those ordered.

I picked up some more Boers from Empress Zulu Wars range and some 1920's civilian revolutionaries to convert. 

And of course 1st Corp released their first packs this week so they have been ordered too.

Perrys first to arrive along with a book, unfortunately black and white but lots of useful photos to peruse over breakfast.
So first few painted and coming off the table. I wont base them until I have all the other stuff painted and can mix them up.
This horseman is one of the original Foundry riders, I have 8 of the same figure with a pretty generic head so did head swaps on all but one and dug out appropriate horses to use, I think these are Ebob that I got from Mutineer miniatures mostly.

The foot are mainly Empress, lovely figures so I am ignoring the rifle being a bit early. 2nd from left is a Warlord WW2 Partisan with a ACW head he fits quite nicely.
Another of the same Foundry rider with an Empress head on Mutineer horse, like this one.
A bunch more completed.
Although there are only 5 different figures all 21 of these will look individual with the separate heads and different colour schemes.
All rich earthy colours, I have some colour pictures with salmon pink and sky blue jackets for Boers, whilst I may not go that far some less earthy colours may find their way in.
Again the same Foundry rider this time with a Redoubt ACW head and Empress Indian Mutiny horse.
The British officer was already pained in my WW1 East Africa Box, I have pulled him off the smaller base so he can be a command figure and lightened the Khaki. A later version sun helmet, these were used by Officers only so I am happy that I can still use him for East Africa as well.


There you go, another distraction, bare with me, a bunch of these to work on now and the butterfly is strong at the moment.

Thanks for stopping by. 




7 comments:

  1. Haha - Butterfly wings at 6 o'clock Roger! Should be a lot of fun getting this all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great project to tackle Roger and off to a super start, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, already mildly out of control.

      Delete
  3. Hi Roger,

    Splendid stuff! We’ve all been bitten by the project butterfly at one time or another, and the Second Anglo-Boer War is a cracking subject to get stuck into. Your head swaps and conversions across the different ranges look brilliant—they really give the Boers that authentic, individual character on the table.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete