Friday 4 November 2022

1745 Rising Progress

 Chum Chris very kindly based up quite a bit of my outstanding 1745 figures which have been sat in a box for a while, so I decided I would set up a bit of a photo shoot to share the progress with this lovely but periodic project. As always no expense spared with my backgrounds!

The old Inn seemed a good piece for the background and a couple of old towels gives me a backdrop, I have since been in trouble with Mrs C over the drawing pin holes in the wall, I did mention something about suffering for art but quickly changed that to a mention of my basing material being useful for filling in holes.
Lowlanders first, not many completed so far. Very dynamic Flags of War figures these. I must focus on getting some more completed, especially as they have now released marching lowlanders too.



The Highlanders are slightly more progressed but I do have loads still to paint. all that tartan makes your eyes hurt.

These two bases are the start of a skirmish unit, two more to complete it., the orange and blue works surprisingly well.
I am using a number of different makes of second hand highlanders I picked up to bulk out the lovely Flags of War figures. So the above has Perry, Front Rank and Bicorne figures,

These are mainly Flags of war charging with muskets supplemented by a couple of Front rank which fit in really well for style and size.
These seven are all Warlord games ECW but look the part.
These big chunky figures are all from Redoubts English Civil War range and will do double duty in Elizabethan Ireland no doubt. I think they will look perfect as Redshanks.
Here are all the Highlanders together. enough for a small game now I think. Chum Chris is also doing the 45 so plenty of figures between us.

Then there are the regulars, 3 groups of 8 Royal Eccossais, love these, my favourite figures for this campaign and my favourite flags too.
Then all the Jacobites together.


The leaders are all Flags of War, mainly from the Character pack and are really lovely figure.
I dont yet have the Royal Eccossais Separate officer painted but the sergeant in kilt is a lovely miniature.
We can kick off the Government forces with some leaders for the Glasgow Militia, all Galloping Major, very chunky characterful figures, they dont mix well with the others but perfect for leaders.
Then the leaders for my regulars, an officer for Cobhams Dragoons, then two officers and Sergeant for Barrels regiment. All Flags of War with the exception of the centre figure with Spontoon from an old Front Rank range.
My first unit of Government Cavalry are Cobhams Dragoons, I have another to do at some point, plus dismounted versions both for these and the next unit, but not sure yet which unit they will be, either another Cobhams or Kingstons are favourite so far.
Same unit with their leader galloping enthusiastically across the front.
Then there is Barrells regiment. I will at some point add some Grenadiers, who are languishing in the lead pile, to these guys but other than that I am happy with these figures, all Flags of War, other than a fifer, as are the Dragoons.



So thats the collection so far, I do have a few Glasgow Militia painted and the basing department still has some bases of highlanders to finish but I really must press on getting some more of the lead pile for this project processed.

Baggots Hussars, More lowlanders and Highlanders, Glasgow Militia, dismounted and mounted Government Dragoons and Government highlanders all still to paint. 


19 comments:

  1. Lovely collection and nice to see them all based up 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, getting a few more men in skirts based this weekend ahead of the first Sharp Practice game next week.

      Delete
  2. Lovely forces so far. I've always been tempted to do the 45 for Sharp Practice and you've beaten me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’ve enough for a game… ;-) cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo very very nice! Love the building as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, the Hudson and Allen buildings are great.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! Great looking figures- the tins of tartan paint have worked a treat for the Highlanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a few Jacobites for a friend.
      http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2022/09/jacobites-final-muster.html

      Delete
  6. Very nice. I am doing the same.. 1745 for Sharp Practice using Flags of War figures, but I am such a butterfly, the project has been derailed. This might just be the trigger I need to go back to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so Doug, a lovely period, its ben de-railed for me a few times.

      Delete
  7. Great stuff! I'm glad I'm not the only one gaming the '45. My own figures are much older than these newer types -- back then, hardly anyone was making these in 25mm so one had to scramble or make do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Piper, yes I do remember lookign at this 20 years or more ago and trying to make FIW French and rangers make do as Eccosais.

      Delete
  8. This is great to see. I've been thinking of going down the "45 rout for Sharp Practice myself but haven't really known where to start. Thank you for a heads up.

    ReplyDelete