Thursday 1 April 2021

Butterfly Workbench Poles, Russians and others

So things have not been great in my world of late so I decided the Butterfly should be released to cheer me up a bit. So lots of different stuff painted this time. I should say right off that I have had to change my phone and the camera on this one is not as good so still working on that. Sorry folks!

So before going off on one I finished this highlander, hurrah! Another of the lovely Bicorne ECW range,


Next for the butterfly were Polish light horse, a real mish mash of figures, the two outside ones are Gripping Beast plastic Saracen light horse with Polish heads, they work well I think. next in from the left a TAG drummer with his drum stick replaced by a war hammer, then a Foundry officer and a Redoubt officer on a Foundry Sikh Wars  horse. They all mix reasonably well I think.
A couple more to add to these and we will have the 11th unit of Poles finished to use either for the Great Northern War or the Deluge.
A wee close up of one of the Gripping Beast conversions. You would never think the figure was designed for the crusades.

I then decided, no idea why, that as it was no longer snowing Russians for the retreat from Moscow project should get an airing, Well I have stack of these to paint so why not. Chum Steve base coated these to give me a head start when he was doing his own, cheers Steve.
Despite being a fairly old range now these are still lovely sculpts and fit really well with the larger Perrys.
Sticking with the Retreat from Moscow, I also made a start on the first French Cavalry in the shape of these Chasseurs. Again lovely figures, they are one piece castings which I am not a fan off typically, all with multiple seperate heads and sword arms.
These guys look suitably untidy, I have enough figures to do 3 groups of 8 for the cavalry, not sure yet if they will all be chasseurs, lets see.
Thats it for the moment, I might put the butterfly back in its box and focus on some more Sikh Wars stuff next.

Stay Safe!

9 comments:

  1. A nice mix of nice figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. All stuff, apart from the lone Scot [nice figure], that link to my own butterflies [projects] so a treat to see.
    You give details of the sources of the Poles but don't mention whose figures the Napoleonics are, please.
    Happy Easter
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter Stephen, the Russian foot are all Wragames Foundry and the French cvaalry are from the Perrys.

      Delete
  3. Amazing stuff! Do you have any source for polish heads, or you just cut them off from some other figures? The conversion looks amazing and as I need some more Cossack style cavalry units, that would give me some diversity.le cavalry units, that wiould give me some diverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bartek, I used sare heads from the Warlord Games Croat cavalry but just as easy to remove heads or use at least one of the heads that come with the set as they have moustache and blad head.

      Delete
  4. Great butterflying Roj. So you know I’m a fan of your Poles. Keep em coming. I look forward to commanding your Poles. I like the French cavalry. Surprised Perry are doing one piece castings. Or at least rider attached to mount. With the separate sword arms and heads you can make yet more dynamic units. Did the French form composite units during the retreat? Perhaps you can have different types of cavalry in same unit? Cheers Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They lost most of their cavalry and in particular horses early on with mounted officers eventually forming cavalry units so composite units is entirely feasible I think. I will do a group of 8 Chasseurs and give some thought to the others later, be nice to have some Polis lancers.

      Delete
  5. An eclectic mix of figures...hope they had the desired effect and cheered you up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers yes, back on with the Sikhs now.

      Delete