Friday 8 January 2021

My New Light Box and a few Afghans and SIkhs

So Mrs C the finance deartment bought me a nice lightbox for Christmas to help with the taking of pcitures. Not entirely sure about it yet, I wonder if its bright enough, but here is a trial run with a bunch of figues painted over the Christmas break.



The box itself comes flatpacked in a simple bag and folds out into a box quite easily, it comes with a umber of coloured backgrounds, so far I have only tried the white.


This right hand Afghan horseman is new and I like the washed out buff and blue colours.

The horse is a Perry Afghan horse and the rider an old Foundry one, it matches perfectly with the Perry Afghan behind on the same base.
This chap is another of the 5 Foundry Afghans I have in the same pose different colour schemes to distinguish him. 
The next couple I used a pallette with pale blue, orange and Green for the most part, works well for the Sikhs I feel.
The softer lighting has its limitiations but is a bit kinder on the close ups.
Thats same pallette again, I particularly like how this Sikh lancer has come out. Foundry again.


This armoured sowar has again the same basic Pallette, the horse is however a Foundry Polish horse, it fits quite nicely I feel.


My assumption here is that I need some natural light to augment the LED's in the box and bring the colours out a little more so I am trying that next. 

It started snowing so I thought I would get one of my Perry retreat from Moscow Cossacks out and paint him, came out quite nice.

You can see that with the added natural light it is slightly brigher but also casts a slight shadow.


I took another one with a lot ore natural light, this didnt really work any better and casts more shadow, so I am thinking that it may need a little help from an external LED light. One to try next time perhaps.
This last one ts a British Carlist Wars General I am using for Sikh Wars, added some natural light and also played around with phone settings slightly better?


Not quite the resounding success I was hoping for but these last two shots of Baluchi's I actually rather like, using the natural light and then tidying the picture up on the phone before loading..



So whilst I will probably use the little vignette and the free standing LED lights approach for displaying the latest figures to jump off the workbench this does give me a nice option for displaying individual figures. I will certainly get some use out of this nice present.

Thanks Mrs C. 

16 comments:

  1. The last photo seems to hit the best combination of colour saturation, sharpness and lack of shadow to my way of thinking. Whatever you did there do it again (as the actress said to the bishop).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Elenderil, lets see if I can manage to do it!

      Delete
  2. Nice figures....light box seems to work is there an option for colour as the white background is a little harsh ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are options for red, blue, yellow and green I havnt really tried them as I thought white would reflect the light better.

      Delete
  3. Some nicely painted minis. And the photography is definitely coming along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, done some more experimenting this mornign to follow

      Delete
  4. I’ve the same box. Stopped using the internal lights and use external daylight lamp at the front. Seems to work better I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting John thank you, just tried it with an external daylight lamp added and happier with the results will share on here shortly

      Delete
  5. I got the same set. Sadly it is not big enough for bigger units, but for singles is perfect. I love the blue background. In my opinion, figures look the best with it.
    All presented figures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bartek, not tried the blue will give that a go next time. Your right no good really for units but where I want to share the odd figures it hopefully works well.

      Delete
  6. I also received a light box for Christmas. I have found that my cell phone camera compensates when using a light background and makes the figures appear dark.
    Conversely, when using a dark background it lightens up the figures and makes them brighter.
    You can see some of my first photo attempts at www.collegeofkings.com

    Martyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martyn, trying out some new backgounds with the latest stuf

      Delete