Sunday 26 May 2019

Back to Great Northern War AAR

We decided we needed to get back to Black Powder Great Northern War so organised a game at Steve's, Mark couldn't make it so it would be just my figures.

We would use the heavily amended Black Powder that Steve has worked on and Chris Charlton would be playing the rules for the first time and we would be utilising some of Steve's fantastic new terrain boards.

The Swedes had 8 battalions of foot in two brigades each with a gun, two units of Cavalry on the left and 4 on the right.

The Saxo-Poles had 3 Brigades of 3 foot and 3 guns, 8 average and one superior foot. Supporting these would be 8 units of horse in 3 brigades. The Allies had the first two brigades holding earthworks in front of a village and a further Brigade in reserve behind the village. Bizarrely my only Russian foot unit would play the "good" unit as it stood out from the rest (historically the Saxons thought the Russians so poor they insisted that a brigade at Fraustadt revers its coats so they looked like they were Saxons and the Swedes wouldn't target the "weak point" in their line).  Right of the village were two units of poor Polish horse, Left of the village 3 units of average Saxon horse then 4 units of Russian/Cossack horse. One of the Saxon horse units would be dragoons with the option to dismount.
With no messing about the Swedes began to advance, the cavalry on my right getting three moves and so belting forward 36 inches (movement in our game is at 2/3 the book moves)

The foot on the right only manage one move and the cavalry conformed to cover their flank.

In response Chris charged his poor Poles at my left unit which counter charged. With ferocious charge the outcome was predictable with both Polish units failing their morales after losing significant casualties. However they left the first cavalry unit with three casualties and therefore shaken and unable to charge anything. They withdraw but take a traversing shot from the Gun on the way, thanks Chris!

I oblique one of my foot units left to extend my line and march the rest straight at the field works, the right hand brigade is finally moving my horse are sticking to their flank like glue.

Chris has moved his reserve foot brigade to cover the flank of the village and moved one of his battalions into the village to refuse the flank. As we move into range I am peppered by the musketry and artillery and only the improved saving throws on a 3 or more keep the Swedes in the game and moving.


Chris moves his left most cavalry brigade into a position to charge the flank of my cavalry if I ride past the wood but otherwise contents himself with some long range artillery at my horse on the Swedish right.
The Swedish foot now charge home on the left flank and the initial closing fire from Chris is not great, however with the earth works he manages to hold both charges and inflict some damage on my supports with his artillery.

Two rounds of melee sees the Swedes still held up on the Saxon line and the right hand brigades closing on the second lot of field works.







At this point Chris decides to gamble one of his cavalry units in a flank charge on my infantry brigade, he needs three moves to reach us and throws a 10 on a D10 getting the moves he needs. Unfortunately though the Swedish pike see off the Grenadiers sending them into retreat.
Swedish move and now all of our units are charging home right along the line.
One of the Saxon units is forced to retreat and the reserve Swedes charge the gun, the flanking unit charges into the Saxon flank supported by the untouched cavalry unit. The gun is overrun but everywhere else the Saxons are able to hang on and even force back the unit in front of the Russian battalion.
To my right the first block of Swedes are in but again are held for the first round by the Cossack foot (rates as average for this game)
My cavalry charge the exposed Russian Horse Grenadiers forcing a break test which they pass, Unfortunately my own horse also need a break test and pull back from the engagement.


Chris now pushed his Dragoons forward, masking his gun but hoping I think to flank my foot, his reserve Cossack unit forms column planning to cross the bridge and hit my Swedes in flank there also. The melees continue to sway back and forth with my horse advancing on the dragoons now they mask the gun.
On the left two battalions of Saxons are broken, however the Swedish cavalry here are shaken so unable to take advantage and the untouched Swedish foot his horribly exposed in front of two battalion and a gun in line., my right hand unit is in a one sided fire fight with the Saxons whilst the unit that over ran the gun turn to fire into the flank f the Russian battalion who wisely pull back.
On the right my foot break the first unit of Cossacks whilst he Saxons hold my next unit at the barricades.
My cavalry charge and destroy the Dragoon unit, then withdraw so as not to have a flank full of grape from the gun.

The Saxon line is starting to buckle now, we charge the second unit of Cossacks and break them in open ground, Chris passes a brigade break test and his remaining unit here holds my foot but he is now outnumbered 4 to 1.

On the left my horse are unable to do anything as they are shaken but the foot are now either side of the Russian unit pouring in shot and the village has become untenable for the Saxons.
Chris accepts defeat gracefully and we have a chat about how tings have played. The rule amends really seem to be capturing what we wanted from the game. The saving on a 3 from the Swedes (despite my concerns it made them powerful) did keep them in the game, without it they could not have won I think. Thoroughly enjoyable and lovely to see my collection out again. Still several units to paint up for these and planning that much larger game later in the year on a 14 foot table with Chris Flowers and the Bramley Barners.

Hope you enjoyed our little game, see you all very soon.

16 comments:

  1. Great game. And the collection is beautiful. You forgot to mention that my best cavalry decided to run away without much of a fight against your right wing cavalry
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Chris, I cant remember everything!

      Delete
    2. My suffering clearly passed you by! :-P

      Delete
    3. You still had a smile on your face!

      Delete
  2. Excellent battle report and great looking game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Can you share your BP ammendments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colin

    The ststas are on one of the earlier Great Northern War games if you want to have a search around, alternatively I am doing a fairly large game on Saturday and I need to write the stats up so will post it as part of the game if thats OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking game. You have some really nice buildings and terrain as well as figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker, the Terrain I canno claim, this is Steve's new terrain, he is in the process of making all new terrain, I agree its lovely.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the report and great pictures. Your blog has inspired me to start my own GNW collection and the first Ebor packs have just arrived. As I am in NZ, pictures and comments on your blog allow me to buy miniatures with confidence from the other side of the world.
    Thanks again,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats brillaint to hear Glen thank you, I wish you eery luck with the project, please keep us posted, would be great to see your progress.

      Delete
  7. A fabulous looking game; great armies and terrain. Sounds like it was a good game too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A splendid looking and sounding game Roger...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete