Tuesday 18 December 2018

Polish Lancers 1919 1920

OK so the first picture has no lancers, sorry.  I had my Russian Civil War collection out for a game today, cancelled due to illness I thought I might take some pictures of the Polish in particular as this is the force I am still expanding.

I am not that keen on the foot I have done so far, they are a few years old and converted WW1 French or Germans for the most part. Having found figures more appropriate I am expanding this now and possibly getting rid of some of the old infantry.

The cavalry though I am much more pleased with so I thought I might share the collection so far.

The first lot are Russian Imperial Guard Polish Lancers. A few slight conversions of Copplestones red cavalry, some head swaps and hand swaps for open hands. I used a lot of artistic licenc when I first did these, giving them their parade caps and officers great coats, the Grey horses are a particular  licence I suppose but I thought they looked well.
I have a second squadron of these chaps, again all on greys. They fought for the first year or two in the Russian Civil War and would all have been great war veterans. late 1918 they marched to the newly created state of Poland as one of the uits to make up the Polish army.

The next unit is a squadron of Studio Siberia's Polish Legion who fought for the Austro-Hungarian empire in the great War and were amongst the new Polish states best troops. I will be using Studio Siberia and Woodbine miniatures to expand my foot for these guys.
The Legion MG and crew is also Studio Siberia. Very nice characterful figures and chunky horses.
The below lancers I painted some time back based on a unit in the Deraybin book. I cant remember which unit they but they were a German Uhlan regiment before joining the Polish army. The uniform has a German feel to it for me. I actually used a mix of figures including Zulu Wars Britidh Lancers with head swaps/
This last unit are wearing the more modern Poish Army Uniform and are mainly Renegade German figures with head swaps for heads from the Studio Siberia range. A couple of Bolt Action Poles mixed in. Two more to finish off to complete this unit and a further squadron primed and ready for the last of 6 units of Poles. I might do the last one wiht Pink facings and penannts. A really colourful force.
I will add in a unit of two of Cossacks, lots of Cossack units deserted and changed sides to fight for the Poles against the Reds. I can then concentrate on replacing the infantry and doing a couple of guns and crews.

Its a fascinating period, the Poles had fought for the German, Austro-Hungarian, Russiand and Frnch armies. Often in Polish specific units and often on the promise of self rule once the War was won. In 1918 the peace treaties made Poland back into an independant country with its own army and many troops that formed part of it still war their uniforms from the former armies they had been part of. This makes for a colourful and eclectic unit. Add to this that they had access to modern airoplanes and tanks and the troops were often well trained and motivated veterans and its a great army for a modeller or wargamer.

I have added a load of photos and plates that I picked up onto the facebook group I am part of 20th century inter-war period warfare and wargaming (1918-41), have a look and see what you think.

Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. What rules do you use for this period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently using Triumph of the Will by Too fat Lardies. Its not very well writtten but have managed to get it to a poitn we enjoy gaming.

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful lancers, MG's vignettes and plane, great job for an interesting period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Phil, glad you like them.

      Delete
  3. Roger. Fine work.
    Excellent cavalry.
    Poles of Mishaila (Coprum) - are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely figures. I was wondering how you found ordering from studio Siberia, any problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great, arrived quicker than they suggested, they did suggest I use other than paypal but as I had cash in there I stuck with it. No issues at all, they are not cheap though and postage is pretty horrendous. Lovely figures.

      Delete
  5. Lovely figures roger. I also have some Siberia's figures and I'm very happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were cheaper postage I would have many more but it is Siberia!!!

      Delete