Saturday, 29 August 2026

Boer War Mania

Well I have got a bit excited and started buying all sorts of stuff.

The haul includes 1st Corps, Great War, Artizan and a 3d printed 37mm pom pom.

The 1st Corps Boer pack is lovely, lots of character all skirmishing as you would expect. I am imagining my Boers in small units of 6 and maybe having 6 - 10 of these all with mounted options and all with horse holder units.
I have purposely gone for the 1st Corps British advancing with bayonets, 3 different packs which match this and with the command figures give me 2 x 8 man units. Lovely figures these are my favourites of the British options so far.

My British and Commonwealth will probably be 2 x 8 man platoons to a company with leader figures. I am thinking one Generic British, one Highlander in kilts and one in bush hats with mounted infantry in support.

A comparison of ranges shows these will all fit really well together, left to right:

Perry, 1st Corp, Perry, Empress, First Corps, Artizan. I am quite comfortable mixing these in units. The Boers in particular I wanted a lot of variety.

I planned to use Early WW1 British Cavalry as Mounted Infantry by giving them head swaps for Bush hats. They have the right bandoliers rather than webbing.
My concern is the pack on the left hip, this is a definite WW1 webbing item and wont be coming off easily, can I live with that?
A little blurry sorry but this 1st Corps Boer is interesting, he has a broom handle Mauser Pistol but with the shoulder butt on. I have seen photos of this being used in this way in the Boer war so a nice characterful addition.
Last lot of metal figures, these are from Footsore. They have an inter war range with some useful figures.

One pack of IRA, men in civilian gear with modern rifles (Mausers of Lee Enfield's) and bandoliers. A very British Civil War pack of Brigands in civilian gear with Lee Enfield's and Bandoliers, these will all need head swaps but are again very nice, then 2 packs of Black and Tans for Ireland, very basic British uniforms and gear, with leather bandoliers rather than webbing make them ideal to convert to British dismounted Yeomanry or similar. Perfect size wise as they will of course match the Empress Boers also sculpted by the talented Mr Hicks.
This now pretty much covers the dismounted Boers I want but will need a whole bunch of mounted ones once they are available, I will want to add British Mounted infantry, Yeomanry/Commonwealth troops in bush hats and Highlanders but will probably wait for 1st Corps to release these rather than mess around with more conversions.

The Maxim 37mm Pom Pom looks very nice, I will hang on until the Boer gunners are released before painting it, I have seen an image of these.

The colourised photo gives a nice idea of this weapon.


Then the Osprey and two sprues of plastics, the 1880's Perrys British, the uniform is perfect but the weapon is the Martini Henry and they need Lee Enfield's so I got a WW1 British sprue. This has spare weapons for me to swop over and I can add the sun helmets to WW1 figures and mix these in with my WW1 Brits for Palestine and India if there are enough weapons. Well thats the plan.

I think the only film I have seen of the Boer war is "Breaker Morant" this book is a biography written by one of his co-charged which may be interesting and add some detail to the project.
I also picked up these dead mans hand wild west horses, hopefully perfect for the Boers, just frustrated they dont come with bases making them  much hard to handle when painting which is a shame.

Thats probably it for now. Plenty to keep me busy I reckon.


No comments:

Post a Comment