Tuesday 26 January 2021

More Regulars for Sikh Wars off the Workbench

 I have been focusing on getting a few more regulars finished over the last week or two, the Company forces are starting to lag a little and the Sikhs could start to be unbalanced with irregulars.

I have seen a reasonable ammount of progress.

Sikh regulars first, a companion battalion for an earlier one with the same colour schemes. The last lot were Foundry and Old Glory figures, these are from Studio Miniatures and very nice indeed.

I went with a flag to match that of the first battalion which is from Ram Singhs brigade in the Virtual Armchair Gnerals flag sheets, There is some dispute as how accurae these are but I will stick with them until I have something better.
I already have 3 of these so this takes me to 13 of 20 and the next 7 will certainly be my focus over the next week or two.

Also by Studio are these EIC Sepoys. Painted as the 43rd regiment I have my doubts about these castings however, not nearly as nice as the Sikhs. The hands and faces are small and not particularly well done, the cuffs seem all wrong too more like French Napoleonic, lastly there is only the one pose with very little variation in the heads. They have been withdrawn from the website for sometime, along with much of the Sikh Wars range, I assume we will see some nicer ones re-released in the near future.

Negatives aside having a shako cover sets them apart from other ranges that dont have this making them quite nice to have and I have the best part of two battalions of this figure to use, perhaps when Studio re-release them I can use the new improved ones for the front rank?

These next Sepoys I have no doubts about however.The firing figure and standard bearers are Iron Duke, the Officer from Perrys and the rest from the Foundry range, all fit together reasonably well.

I already have 2 of these complete so this gives me half a battalion so I think I will focus on these once the Sikh regular battalion is done.
The Iron Duke ensigns are really dynamic, the firing figure has a head swap, originally having a skull cap.


This chap is the first of the line unit of the Bengal Europeans, a Perry miniatures First Carlist War British with all the gear trimmed off his shako, most of the rest will be Wargames Foundry from the Opium Wars range. I already have a skirmish line of 6 of these so once the above units are complete I will crack on with this chaps mates.

Also from the Perrys Carlist War range is this British Rocket crew, enjoyed doing these guys.
A these are a one off I may base them myself so they are likely to be complete before anything else which is waiting on the easing of restrictions to allow me to get them to the basing department in York. 

This particular picture is probably the best of the lot, starting to get the hang of the photography now I think.

I am conscious that 90% of posts are painting progress just now with little based up complete and no game reports, I can only apologise, but restrictions mean this is pretty much all I am able to do for now and posting these is helping me through the pandemic, I hope it also provides a few minutes light entertainment for you the reader as well. I look forward to sharing our games with these miniatures on table, when we are eventually allowed to do so safely again, on the upside the forces on table will be much enhanced to those this time last year.

In the meantime take good care and stay safe.


29 comments:

  1. Splendid stuff Roger...
    You have indeed been a busy boy.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butterfly is still there but meanderign around a single project for once, cheers Aly.

      Delete
  2. All very lovely. The crimson turbans with beard combo is very striking. Also really like the artillery few,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, based on one of the figures in the Osprey I think it works quite well.

      Delete
  3. Very nice figures and a great project. I can certainly confirm that your posts lighten my mood even if it is a period I am planning. Indeed the pandemic has been a challenge but hopefully our hobby is keeping us going 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Matt, I am going to break it up with a couple of non Sikh Wars related posts before coming back to the latest figures.

      Delete
  4. Great looking minis, awesome colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks veyr much Phil, I think the photography helps.

      Delete
  5. Great brushwork and conversions. I’m sure that the Studio sepoys will look fine once they’re based up in a unit. Even if it’s just a unit using them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am workign on some minor conversions to mix with them, the heads look fine wehen removed and added to a nicer body so might spruce the unit up a bit lets see.

      Delete
    2. I think that we’re rather spoilt with the figures available to use nowadays. Sure the Studio sepoys will perform just as well under fire 😉

      Delete
    3. Ah yes but I am a little bit of spoilt wargaming snob when it comes to figures Chris.

      Delete
  6. More stuff to play with in the not too distant...hopefully!! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already well on the way to 10 more units than the last game so yeah plenty to game with, you will need to start looking at those rules you wanted to try with them.

      Delete
    2. Field of Battle will work really well I think for this.

      Delete
    3. Get reading up and we will get a nice big game of it when we are allowed back. Cant wait.

      Delete
  7. Tremendous stuff Roger. I agree about the Studio sepoy but the figures were good vfm at the time of the original Kickstarter several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colin, the odd thing is that the torso and looks nice, I have taken a couple of heads off to pop onto other bodies and with the better collar these work well enough too. So its only really the hands collar and cuffs but they have made a really big difference surprisingly. Again the covered shako that nobody else does is really useful too. Update on those head swaps to follow.

      Delete
  8. They look really nice, have just ordered some sample packs from Studio so good to hear the sepoys are nice. I have some original Kickstarter figures but I was put off ++ by the cavalry. It appears Nick Collier is the new sculptor and his work is usually nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clive, the original figures were a real mixed bag with some lovely and some really poor, the basic bodies though are great and I assume Nick has re-created the much nicer figures from these originals. The Sikhs are great and I look forward to seeing what the new Bengal troops look like when they get around to them.

      Delete
  9. Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board shortly known as GSEB is a state government body,Students are advised to get familiar with the GSEB syllabus details Gujarat 6th Class Books Here is the entire syllabus of Gujarat Secondary Education Board (Class X) and HSC (Class XII) examination. Students should check the entire GSEB new syllabus carefully and start preparing for their exam.

    ReplyDelete