Monday 11 January 2021

Last Christmas Workbench, Sikh Wars mainly.

 So I managed a fair bit of painting over Christmas and I thought I would take the opportunity to share the last of them, gives me a bit of a head start for new units when we can eventually game again.

I have had a reasonable focuse on the Sikh irregular cavalry which is great fun with all the bright colours. A bunch have already flown off to be based in York but plenty more now when the basing department has completed those.

Whilst the Perry's did a fair range of nice horses when they did this collection I have so many that adding some variety in is really useful for breaking them up a little, I will share where I have got the different ones from and you can decide whether you think they work.



This first Sikh Officer is on tone of the original horses, I particularly like how this has come out with the range of different colours.
This armoured lancer may end up as standra bearer, I have mounted him on one of the Games Workshop Riders of Rohan horses I picked up, ever so slightly bigger than the old Foundry these are 28mm but take the riders reasonably well. I like this one.

This chap is riding a Foundry Polish Pancerni horse, which again I think works surprisingly well, the horse has a slung shield so I used an armoured horseman without a shield.

This lancer is riding one of the original horses, the pink and blue set the grey horse off well.

The trumpeter is riding another Foundry Polish horse, Not a Pancerni one more and Officers horse.
This light cavalryman is on one of the original horses, however I am short of shields so this guys has a Perry plastic one from the Afghan set.

These General Staff figures are from the Foundry Crimean range and the Perrys Carlist War range respectively, there is a size difference so I will add a little greestuff to the Foundry bases, I will turn these guys into a high command vignette for the EIC forces.
I have touched on my plans for the Bahawalpur forces in an earlier post, this gives you an idea how two of the units plan to look, I will add different shades of the main colours to create some variety but these are the basic schemes. The French Grey unit will be Foundry Baluchis and the Sand coloured one mainly Empress.
The officer here is an Empress figure, the rest Foundry Baluchi's
Again the command figure is Empress and the matchlock man probably the only Foundry figure I will add to this unit.

Finally the snow and Ice inspired me to a minor side trip to 1812, I have a mountain of stuff to do for my retreat from Moscow project so all good that I can get a couple squeezed in now and again.

Painting may slow down a little now with the return to work but hopefully the figures completed take me closer to a nice big Sikh Wars game when we can play agin.

Take good care.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive work Roger. Love the colours on those Sikh cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, the colours are one of the things I love about this period.

      Delete
  2. The Sikh irregular cavalry look great. Super use of colour. I will look to see if I’ve any spare shields for you. Going to be a terrific Sikh Wars game whenever. Nice to see you chipping away at retreat from Moscow. Any more Great Northern War stuff hovering around the painting table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Chris, I still ahve one unit of Swedish Dragoons and one of Swedish foot along with a bunch of Saxon regiments to ain for GNW. Any sheild donations gratefully recieved.

      Delete
    2. Nice that the Swedes are almost complete 👍🏻

      Delete
    3. Yea, have been at this stage for nearly 18 months, really should get them completed.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work on all these - good idea re purposing the Crimean and Carlist troops - I used the Carlist Brits with Bell Topped shakos when I wanted appropriately attired troops for the First Afghan War - 1839 I think....the one where only a doctor came back alive - oh, and Flashman of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have re-purposed quite a few of the Carlist Wars British work really well, a few more to follow, you are near enough with Afghanistan it was 1841-42 I get some of my inspiration for gaming from Flashman too.

      Delete
  4. Dear Roger. I have just transformed some figures of Foundry Dark Africa range to look more "Baluchis", adding long hair, long beards, tall turbans and wide sleeves. But I do not have any information about colors, apart of the information of the Osprey "Victoria´s enemies" and that of the Foundry books about African armies. Do you know some special charateritics of the Baluchi dress, color of tunics, turbans, flags, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Feldgrau I am afraid not, I am using colour schemes that were likely common and picking something that "looks right" for a couple of units I want to be fairly uniform, not the most scientific approach but I dont think there is anything out there will give us more evidence.

      Delete
  5. Uttarakhand Board Class 10th High School textbooks are available for download in the official Website Of NCERT. Latest Updated Class 10th Textbook 2019-2021 Uploaded in the Official Site. Students can Download Official Textbooks in PDF File Format and study on any device. UK Matric Syllabus 2021-2022 Syllabus for UK Class 10, Previous Year Question Paper, Exam Pattern are also Updated Here. Uttarakhand Board of School Education (UBSE) is the Board of the State Uttarakhand. UK Board Class X Follows NCERT Curriculum and Textbooks

    ReplyDelete