Sunday 23 February 2020

Indian Matchlock Men


These guys have been in the making for a few months now pleased to finally finish them.

These are Wargames Foundry Matchlockmen from the old Indian Mutiny range with a Sikh officer.


The figures themseleves are 40 or so years old now but I think they still look great.

I wasnt so sure when I was first starting wtith them as they did look quite dated before I painted them, but I am really happy with the end result, they have come out really well. In my opinion anyway.
I started out with 3 painted in my painted figures box and no idea if I would, or could, mix them with another unit, then picked 6 up as part of a job lot of Foundry Indian Mutiny figures so added command to give me a unit of 12 (a small unit for Black Powder 3 bases rather than 5) spured on by other gamers(Atheling you know it was you) I took advantage of the Foundry 10% off over Christmas and picked 8 more up to finish off the 20 figure unit.

The Sikh Army had units of Hindu's and Muslims and many still used the traditional matchlock musket, the armies of other native princes also made extensive use of these troops so the unit will be really useful for both sides in the Sikh Wars and also for the Mutiny and other periods (I have a long term plan to use the Perry British in Egypt 1801 to game Wellington in India).
I have seen a  number of images with this washed out blue colour I used on a number of the figures and purposely mixed pale buff and white through the unit to give it a more irregular look. I picked up a bottle of "Fog Grey" aint which is also great for the French Grey of the Bengal Light Cavalry.
So whilst the musketeers only come in three poses it does still look quite a mixed unit with the variety of colours on all their gear..

More back from the basing department for me to share soon including another British foot unit, Sikh Dragoons and armoured Sikh Gorchurra cavalry.

Watch this space.

20 comments:

  1. A lovely unit Roger. Some of my favourite Foundry figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colin, I am pleased with the end result.

      Delete
  2. Love these figures and you’ve painted them up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old Foundry figures have stood the test of time I think .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasnt sure to be honest until after I painted htem but they certainly have.

      Delete
  4. They're great Roj. I always liked these figures. Used to have just marching ones. Didn't realise how old they are yikes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roger,
    Love the figures, the sikh wars is a great period. Quick question where did you get the fog grey from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy, they, it is from Amy Painter Warpaints range. I picked it up at a show but you can probably get them from ebay.

      Delete
    2. Pleasure, a really good fit for French Grey.

      Delete
  6. Great job on what look like great sculpts.I have a couple dozen Foundry Noble Cavalry in the lead pile; I look forward to seeing you armoured cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably up next Codsticker, on the wrong horses though but happy with them.

      Delete
  7. Top work Roger a favourite period of mine also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the Anderson collection and very impressed. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete