Friday, 31 July 2026

Russian Offensive, WW2 AAR

Another WW2 play test. This time I would be attacking with the Russians and the German defenders were a much more mixed bag.

I needed to capture two towns held by a decent SS Battalion supported by artillery, a company of Police, a company of Volksturm and a mixed Tank Hunter unit of a Jagdpanther and a Stug.

To take the two towns I had 3 weak Guard motor battalions reasonable troops but only two companies with an MG to each battalion, they are supported by heavy mortars, a couple of light guns 3 SU75s and 3 JSU150's. I also had a combat engineer company with a flame thrower in a half track.
The off table artillery grid is pretty massive and Steve rolls for each unit under it, so in this first shot he can fire at two companies and a JSU. Fortunately for me the German firing dice were not great today.

As the IS75's advance on the town in support of the infantry a PAK40 unmasks and fires. The first IS75 is knocked out.

The remaining IS's and infantry return fire with effect and destroy the Pak.
As the infantry move further forward the SS company in the wood open fire on the Russians and each side takes heavy casualties.
On the left the advancing Russian infantry bump into Volksturm in the houses and a company of police in trenches to the flank of the town.
I take 3 casualties but manage to save all 3.
The SS use their anti tank capability to hit one of the remaining IS's. 
My return fire at the SS is not so great.
I close assault the company of police and they are over run.
The SS in the lead house open fire, inflicting a couple of casualties.
fortunately I have quite a bit can fire back including indirect fire from mortars and in one round of firing the lead company of SS are destroyed.

My engineers pile into the empty house and the first building in the village is taken.

The light tanks have taken a real kicking whilst providing pretty minimal support for the infantry, two destroyed one damaged. Still they kept the pak40 busy!
Finally the German armour push forward, Steve has been lurking in the woods hoping I will charge forward but the Towns are nearly lost so he needs to come get the Russians tanks or risk losing.
I fire my JSU but the range is long and no effect. The red marker is overwatch.
Both German tanks gang up on one ISU and take it out. Bugger!
The Engineers take the house with just one casualty, the flamethrower adding 4 dice to their fighting. Just one building in the town now held by the SS.
Steve pulls an extra move card, move only, he pulls back his armour so I now have to fire at effective range or take a minus for moving one before getting to close range. Grrrr.

Last move I push right up, Steve ambushes me with infantry from the rear building but misses, my fire with JSU's destroys the Jagdpanther and damages the Stug. No more time but at this point the Germans dont have enough left to win.
Fabulous game.

A victory to the Russkies.

A couple more tests but the rules seem finished for me.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment