Wednesday 5 July 2023

More Mainly Elizabethan Irish Workbench

Carrying on with the Elizabethan Irish Project I have made a bit of progress this week. In all cases the bases are empty whilst I decide what the end result is going to be for basing. The English first then.

I intend to have a couple of units of Billmen, I am using here Foundry pikemen and adding the bill. Look pretty good to me. Particularly like the chap on the right. These are veteran troops with practical armour, newly raised troops often still had their bright livery jackets (Mainly red or Blue) whilst veterans had whatever practical kit they could keep together making it fairly easy for the Irish to distinguish the weakest formations on the battlefield.
This command trio are all from The Assault Group and are sold as Dutch but fit just fine as English, slightly more slender than the Foundry swashbucklers they still fit in OK.
Two more Foundry shotte these finish off a unit of Shotte for me for the English.
The Irish are a bit more of a varied lot, so for these photos I have split them into manufacturers rather than troop types for the purposes of the pictures. As with the last lot these have a brighter yellow colour to their tunics, I like it and it will add contrast to the other colours already mixed in the units.
These first three are metal Gripping Beast, from left to right a dark age Kern, a Norse Gael given a flag instead of an axe and lastly a Norse Gael with a renaissance helmet added, slightly less expertly than I would like but kind of OK.
These two are Wargames Atlantic plastics, they are both dark ages, the waistcoat doesnt work as well as I hoped on the first figure and neither does the metal head I added, not so much I cant use it though, the bald guy I quit like though.
These last two are Antideluvian and seem a little smaller and slimmer than earlier ones. Still nice, I have added a musket to the guy on the left and the blue jackets will add variety to the red and orange also done recently. Green for the next ones I guess.
Lastly, for some reason I decided to paint a Legionaire for Mexico in with this lot. came out ok. The stringy bit at the back of his Kepi is just spray varnish which will dust off.

Hopefully have these guys on table very soon. Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Being a fairly small project I think its only a few weeks away from complete now.

      Delete
  2. It’s a great collection Roj. Lovely additions. The rules are good fun too. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you search around, taking suitable figures from here and there to build forces with lots and lots of variety. If possible I like armies where no two figures are exactly the same. Anyhow, well done. 👏👏
    Cheers,
    Geoff
    PS/ one thing I don’t love, however, is the way my Google account still has some sort of problem and I continue to have to comment as “Anonymous” ☹️😤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous(I mean Geoff) I do like lots pf variety, just picked up some Crusader Scots which I think will be another good fit to mix in.

      Delete
  4. More Nic work Roger anf if this is a skirmish level game, variety of figure poses is a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, not quite skirmish but only small units with 6-8 figures representing a company.

      Delete