Thursday 1 October 2020

New Lights

 So Ken over on Yarkhire Gamer http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/ show cased some new LED lights bought by his good lady wife and I decided it was about time I got some myself. Taking his recomendation I picked up the Neewer Z10's from Amazon. Inexpensive and overall I am pleased with the results and also have a fair bit of food for thought.

I borrowed a decent photography halo light ring from a chum first and created a crude light box, the results below are not half bad and convinced me I needed to do something about lighting in general. 

Quite pleased with how this bronze age chariot looks with the white background.

Ken has doen a really nice Youtube video showcasing them so I wont go into detail.

The new lights were pretty cheap and quick from Amzon. Its a tidy little box and they all stow away nicely.

Two lights with difusers slotted in.

Each one gets its own fold out tripod.
And an extending "selfie stick" type pole with an adjustable mount at the end to pivot the lights.
USB cables so it runs via the laptop or you need your own powersource but the lighting it produces is pretty good.

These guns were done using the new lights and my tablet, with no daylight they have a very washed out appearance so my first learning is ideally I still need daylight to support the LED's.

My new Royal Ecossais and drunk highlander look a bit better but stilla  little washed out.

Using the camera on my phone however the colour is really being brought out and the focus and sharpness is better too generally.
Almost hard to believe the pictures were taken at the same time. A bunch more below of the same subjects.
Still mildly washed out and with too much shadow, I will need to fix that with future shots. However the gunners look far better with the phone images.

This last one came out probably best of the lot with some small lighting adjustment.
So I would say that the lights are an improvement as long as I also have ambient daylight and generally the mobile phone camera is far superior to the tablet, if a little harder to use.

More to follow.






10 comments:

  1. Very nice. If you are using LED, you need to switch your camera light balance to match whatever Kelvin the LEDs are putting out.

    If the LEDs are outputting a ‘Daylight’ Setting (which is a common default for camera lights), then the Kelvin setting on the camera should be at k5600. Matching the cameras white balance to the light source will get accurate colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Norm thank you, I will have a play around with the next lot.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post Roger. Figures look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, more trials to go but improving.

      Delete
  3. My phone clearly isn't that fancy :-P better lighting and a light box, I can investigate tho. Good photos of nicely painted minis are important. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addeda bit more on the lights themselves hope it helps.

      Delete
  4. Great job all around, love the chariot and its dog, nice addition...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, the Bronze Age collection is still one of my favourites that never gets used, wondering if Infamy Infamy might be a good fit.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good idea. The pics have come out really well. How much was it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than £35 apparantly they ran a deal on the pair and was even cheaper so.....

      Delete