Tuesday 29 September 2020

Guns of the Punjab Sikh Wars Iregular Artillery and Zambureks

 Been looking forward to completing the painting on these guys, artillery from both spectrums of the weight of shot. The Tiger mouthed gun has been done for a while and the gunners have been building up over the last few weeks, its noce to get them all glued to the bases ready to ship off to York for basing.

I put a hint more pattern into the saddle blankets on these two Zambereks, there seems to be a lot of pointing going on as they perhaps decide which target to take on first. These two when finished will take me to 6 in total so 3 batteries of 2.
The two big guns are real monsters and when put together with the other 2 I think will look pretty impressive, the Indus one wiht the petals around the gun mouth is particularly nice.


I have taken a bunch of pcitures as I am not overly pleased wiht the overall effect of my photgraphy, the placing near the window either enahnces or detracts deending on the stegnth of light and position of the sun and the craft light I use (also my paintign light) is not enough on its own. So after sharign with you the current process I will share some other imaages using a light secifically for photography borrowed from a chum.


With the borrowed lighting and my usual Tablet, I am thinking the lighting certainly helps, already theya re looking nicer, the tablet is useful as its easier to edit the pictures and I can load them direct to my blog from the tablet:








And then with my mobile using the borrowed lighting, these are a bit sharper and a lot more colour, I have no idea how to edit with my mobile though so will need to do some more work on it:





I am tempted to pick a new light up as this looks pretty conclusive to me, I may then mix and match with the tablet and the phone, the phone pictures are certainly much better.

12 comments:

  1. Wow the Indus gun is MASSIVE! What size bases are the big guns on? Good photos are a big plus in our hobby. Helps show off your great brushwork :-) Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers very much Chris, pleased you like the gun, the bases are 60mm front by 80mm deep.

      Delete
  2. Nice work 👍 I suffer many of the same photo issues but haven’t found an easy answer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, I have done some photography over the last 24 hours which is looking much better so I think I may have a formula that works now fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Hi Roger,

    Fort things first- lovely work.

    I can say with a degree confidence tat the newer set of lighting produces the better photograph. What sort of lighting is it that was used? I noticed that Dave Imrie has been using LED Halo lights that seemed very portable as well as having a control switch that allowed for the photographer to control the requisite degree of light. There's a post on the Saxon Dog Facebook page if you want to investigate further?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, not a halo light but a air of LED lights aimed at photography on tripods, I will share the details on another post soon. I will also check out Mr Imries post, thanks for that.

      Delete
    2. Please do. I'm very interested in this as my table will hopefully be set up soon. I've got a lot of junk to move around (note, not throw away lol) prior to setting it up and it would be wonderful to get the lighting right. I'm certainly no expert, I usually just use a daylight lamp and Photoshop lol

      Delete
    3. Watch this space my friend.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me!So I made these from seated camels with Blood and Plunder swivel guns or Trent large Jezails which both sell seperately and Foundry gun crews. Its all in one of the earlier posts Chuck.

      Delete
  5. Outstanding work, beautiful additions to your already excellent collection.

    ReplyDelete