Thursday 30 January 2020

Third Light Dragoons For India

I picked these up from Foundry with their 25% off Christmas deal (cheers Steve). I decided that my Studio Miniatures Dragoons were not cutting it, all in the same pose, so I sold them and used the cash to buy these instead.

The Foundry figures have really stood the test of time, however they are still 25mm and the horses in particular look it. So I decided to swap them. I have used Perry's plastic Napoleonic Light Dragoon horses which are really nice and a good match. I did have to green stuff the tails on as the Napoleonic ones were all docked. I also decided to put them in troops colours, hence the matching horses on each base, up to a point.

I did also base these myself as the basing department is still recovering from 70 hour weeks through the Christmas season. I did get a few snaps of my basing process I will include in a future post on the Nottinghamshire Regiment.
3 to a pack meant there were only 9 and I needed 10 so I pressed an old Foundry Crimean War heavy dragoon into service on a shot horse, he looks suitable dramatic and hopefully nobody notices that he looks a bit different to the others.
This is a great unit to do as not only were they very much in the thick of the action they fought all the way through both Sikh Wars and also through the 1st Afghan war in a similar uniform so they become a very handy unit to have. They were badly shot up at Mudki and Ferozeshah giving great service and also charged in column through a breach in the Sikh redoubt at Sobroan.
I am not far off having enough for a divisional sized game now just need to get  a load of basing done and we can crack on.
Hope you like these guys, got a few more finished items to share with you very soon.

4 comments:

  1. Great looking unit! You have heard that Iron Duke is starting an Anglo Sikh range? Moe goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had heard that, with that in mind I am not buying any more figures until I see what Mike is goign to do (apart from the Perry Plastic Afghans) to be fair I have a mountain of lead here to paint up just for the sikh wars so that should seeme through most of 2020!

      Delete
  2. Excellent. Having just read the latest in Mallinson's Mathew Hervey series I feel quite inspired to start another period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mallinson and Flashman have certainly influenced me.

      Delete