Tuesday 14 January 2020

Back to My Own Basing for a Bit

So with basing department on 70 hours a week until panto season is done I am not getting any basing back. So for now I have made a start on a few bits and peices.

Firstly three commanders for the 1745 project.

These blokes are all Galloping Major command figures designed as American militia. The figures are really characterful and very easy to paint.



I will be using these as commanders for Jacobite Lowlanders and also Loyalist militias, perhaps also as what they are meant for in our French and Indian games. The next two are from my new phone so I thought I would see how they looked in comparison. 

I also managed to base up a few bits for the Sikh Wars project, firstly another cavalry commander using  Studio Miniatures commander with a head swap and arm swap. Not sure about the horse.
The first of my Gurkhas are a 6 figure skirmish screen, ideal for both Sharp Practice and Black Powder. 5 are Iron Duke Sepoys and the other a Foundry Sepoy. Three of them had direct head swaps with Gurkha figures, the other three had greenstuff added to the cap to make them a bit more Gurkha-ish. I added Kukri's to the right hips using a a spear head clipped off the spear and then twisted slightly to give the impression of a curved bladed Kukri.

Happy by the way the have come out but I might hang on to do the whole battalion until after Iron Duke release their Gurkhas in the future.
Lastly is the nellie. I mentioned in an earlier post this was a gift from chum Mark.

Mark and I bought our first ever Wargames figures around 30 years ago, Wargames Foundry Indian Mutiny, these are all long gone now but Mark had hung on to the Elephant for that time and donated it to the Sikh Wars project a couple of weeks ago. Cheers Pal.

So a good dusting off, a bit of black primer on the bits where metal had come through and a wash over and we were off. I was keen to keep the colour schemes the same for the figures and the equipment, the gun and carriage though I prefer this blue-grey to the natural wood. Hope you like the end result.

I am happy with the ned result and I hope Mark likes it too. I dont usually do many limbers, I dont get the painting time I would like and a limber, gun, horses and riders is almost as time consuming as a unit of cavalry. However I am keen to have  abaggage train for India. Both for Sharp Practice scenarios and in particular for a future battle of Bhudowhal.

Bhudowhal was the day before Aliwal, Harry Smiths famous victory without a mistake. However in his approach march Sir Harry's troops were exhausted by walking through heavy sand and began to run out of water, they strayed too near the guns of the Sikh fortress and started to take casualties, a horde of irregular cavalry appeared but didtn pounce, the Sikh General being none too aggressive. Towards the end the Sikhs pounced ont eh baggage train and wiped out a company of British sepoys. I cant help feelign this would make a great what if scenario, a more aggressive Sikh commander, the Avitable brigade turning up earlier than it did, Smith turning aroudn to save his baggage.

Anyway, one for the future when I finish enough troops to fight it.

For now thats all I managed to get based, hope you like them, into the box they go until we can get them out to game with soon.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely work all around. Your head and arm swaps came out well, and the heffalump is super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is superb, absolutly superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elephant limber looks great. I really like the new colour on the gun n limber. Amazing how undynamic the Foundry figures looks on the Ghurkha skirmish line. Great work as ever on the bases :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, lots more to come. Also Iron Duke hinting they will release Sikh Wars figures!

      Delete
    2. It's a good colonial period to game. Exotic and colourful

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Roger. You can't have too many elephants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought when I saw yours at Stockton Colin, I was inspired.

      Delete
  5. Excellent stuff as ever. The spear heads for kukri's is inspired thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou its one I am really pleased with.

      Delete
  6. Panicking pachiderms Batman! But don't they look good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha cheers Paul, camels next me thinks.

      Delete
  7. Love the nellie Roger! Great work all round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super work and really like the extra large limber.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete