Tuesday 1 October 2019

Saxon regiment Kurprinz multi use

The next unit over the line are a Saxon Battalion. Kurprinz fought in all the major actions and the red faced yellow is a classic combination.

Again I wanted these done for the big game, but I was also keen to try a unit that could double up for the Williamite Wars in Ireland. Ideally a unit of Saxons where swapping the command base makes them Sir Eustace's Jacobite regiment. With that in mind these guys look very different from the mainly tricorne wearing earlier units. I hope to have at least 2 or 3 units like this which I can use for both conflicts.

I can also use them as Saxons alongside my Poles fighting the Ottomans!
I have actually used slightly smaller bases as these guys dont need the 80mm depth and the vurtual three ranks works really well on this base size. 50mm frontage like all the others but only 60mm depth.


I have used Warfare miniatures with the command for Kurprinz being from the old Foundry range which mixes reasonably well.

A pair of flags from Iain at Flags of War with a base of more Warfare figures, this time with Pike added and we have Sir Eustaces regiment of Jacobite foot.
To be honest I didnt do too much research on where and when these saw action I was just keen to have a unit of Jcobites made from a unit of Saxons. I really like how this has come out.
One the overhead shot you can see the vurtual third rank but also that the middle base is ever so slightly different to the outer ones. My bad, I ran out of the ones with curved edges.
And a ear shot with those lovely flags and figures. And just like that I have started a new period!
Thats give sme 7 units of Saxon foot and one of Jacobite foot.

Thanks for reading.

17 comments:

  1. Cheers Colin, hope to have a couple more of these duel purpose units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on these, and nice that you can get so much use out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the tight yorkshireman in me approves.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thankyou very much, I know you are a fan of the Saxons.

      Delete
  4. That's one well turned out Jacobite regiment. I'd not get hung up on where they fought etc. They're a bonus! And dare I say, I'd be happy to have historically incorrect regiments fighting in Ireland...
    Good work mate. See you Thursday
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. First class unit Roger, beautiful uniforms, colors and flags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking regiment and a nice idea with the command base

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely unit, they look great! Love the flags as well, they really finish off the formation.

    I really like the idea of the Jacobite wars but painting all that tartan makes me shy. Maybe I should cheat a little by using some foreign fighters too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So this unit will be for the Jacobites in Ireland, no tartan at all, jACOBITE AND wILLIAMITE FORCES ALL LOOKIGN VERY SIMILAR AND SUPPORTED IN BOTH CASES BY FOREIGN TROOPS LOOKIGN JUST AS REGULAR. tHE LATER jACOBITES HAVE TARTAN BUT YOU CAN STILL PAINT LOWLAND TROOPS WITHOUT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work Roger. I remain unconvinced by the Warfare figures but you have made very good work of them all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I picked these up cheap from Ebay so it was worthwhile. They are a bit mamite, love or hate but I actually quite like these ones and the marching poses, the firing line not so much.

      Delete