Monday 15 October 2018

More Elizabethans

In a short break from Great Northern War I have been working on some Elizabethans. This first lot are Border Reivers for chum Andy Lawson. Between us we have quite a few of these lovely Jim Bowen sculpts.

Each mounted Reiver has a dismounted character to match for those small scale skirmish games. Personally I will be using these mainly for slightly larger games in Ireland.
Not sure what Andy intends to use the bodies for, but again they have come out quite well.

Moving on to my own figures I have a few Irish and English finished to add to the steadily growing collection. Here are another 9 English and 5 Irish. I will be picking up a load of Perry Irish from Dave Thomas at the forthcoming Fiasco show in Leeds at the end of the month.They do look lovely figures and may encourage me to get more Irish completed.
Below are the Irish, most of the Galloglass have their attendant Kern, not sure the rules will work with mixing troop types in formations though.
This next Gallowglass has a long sword strapped to his back and has slightly richer clothing, I particularly like the Kern with his javelins.
Another Gallowglass in an action pose with his Kern, this time with bow.


This Dwarf like warrior started life as an old Foundry Scot with a Hundred years war helm with a cross on the top of it. I had picked up some seperate helmets from Warlord so decided to try some butchery and cut away the helmet and replaced it with this morion. Not my finest work but it has come out OK and is the first of these guys with more modern gear.
These caliver men give me the impression of a group of slightly grim Yorkshire lads, subdued colours for their clothes with a red livery jacket to tie them together. The chap in the middle came with a few figures I picked up off ebay. Perhaps an old Citadel figure. Probably a Spanish figure he is now just a rather snappily dressed Englishman in Ireland. He was part painted so I used most of the original paint as a base coat to speed things up.
The Bowman is another figure I picked up with the second hand batch. I dont bother with strings for my bows but the previous owner had put this on so I left it. The painting wasnt too bad on this figure who was vurtually finished so a wash and highlights with a bit of a redo of the flesh so he matches mine and we are off.
These command figures are particularly nice figures, full of character and the flag is quite nice too.
Not far off having enough English now, I just need to pick up another 6 pike at Fiasco. The Irish are another story however. The 6 packs of Perry figures will get me somewhere near the number I need but a lot of painting to do to get them game ready.

See you again soon.

6 comments:

  1. That is good work on some very figures- well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding job, beautiful and impressive figures...for a beautiful and impressive period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely looking toys Roger.

    I particularly like English archer.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, a bit like your WSS I took advantage of another gamers part painted figures so this was is at least 75% someone elses work but tied into mine with colour schemes and flesh.

      Delete