Wednesday 19 September 2018

Von Schlippenbachs Dragoons

Whilst I was away the basing department was busy finishing my fourth unit of Warfare Swedish horse. These are Von Schlippenbachs Dragoon regiment, a Baltic unit from Livonia which as well as fighting the Russians in the Baltic also took part in the battle of Poltava before being re-raised to carry on the fight in the Baltic.
This is the same unit that I used to review the Warfare figures individually, it does look the part although I was begining to regret trying to sqeeze three horses per base on in this formation, its not as easy as it looks!
Being Dragoons they were not always given the pick of the horses so I have chosen to add a greater mix of paler horse flesh colours into this unit. It includes some particular favourites of mine, the charging drummer being a case in point.
The below shot shows the flying wedge formation and just how tightly packed on the bases they are. They only just went on I can tell you.

I have a lot of variety in the Swedish horse uniforms on purpose but it is nice to get a standard blue faced yellow unit completed. I have another Dragoon unit to do and I am tempted to do them the same. Although the next lot will have shouldered swords.

The rear shots also show off the unit formation and the drum strapped to the drummers back.
So thats Von Schlippenbachs, possibly get a game report for our later Roman and Sassanid game next, lets see.

Thanks for reading.

14 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I can see what you mean about the 3 per base - it's a tight fit but the end result is great. I have to say that the commander's name has me thinking of Allo Allo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, funny I had not thought of that but now the Allo Allo reference is really quite funny. Glad you like them.

      Delete
  2. Standard, beautiful job! Dashing forward to victory! Especially, the command stand is superb! The drummer and his drum are an eye-catcher!

    Cheers!

    DintheDin

    ReplyDelete
  3. A splendid looking unit Roger...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so dynamic and beautiful, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dynamism is what I like most about these scults, cheers Phil.

      Delete