Sunday 18 March 2018

Terrain Mats

Having decided that the best answer for my terrain was to use terrain mats I started to look at the options and there are a bewildering array.

Numerous manufacturers with even more designs to choose from and multiple material choices, Cloth, Vinyl, Mousemat to name a few. Without actually seeing and feeling it how do you know?

Answer I guess is you dont.

As I was flicking through the various different manufacturers and options I came across one that I liked the look of. They only work in Vinyl but as I had already ruled out cloth and had a vinyl desert mat from years ago I was interested. On the off chance I might pass them driving for work I thought I would see where they were, try bob in and see the actual product. By coincidence they are actually about 2 miles away in the next village to me. Who would have thought!

They were also doing buy 2 get 1 free and selling the mats at a very competitive price on ebay. Mark was keen to get a green mat for his own purposes and whilst one 6x4 mat would suit me for a while 2 was the end target, As it turned out they dont hold any stock so I didnt get to see before I bought but I decided it wasnt going to get much better than this so took the plunge. At £30 per mat when you factor the free one in it was a cracking deal.

The company are Artistic Impressions and Phil even drove the mats around himself for me which was nice, unfortunately I had nipped out for 5 so missed him. but here's what I found when I stepped in the porch.
 
The companies site is here for anyone who wants a look https://artisticimpressionsuk.com/ or this is one of theirs on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinyl-6x4-Red-Planet-Gaming-Mat-Ideal-for-Warhammer/222884060725?hash=item33e4ecde35:g:6NgAAOSw42dZC23z . I couldnt resist getting the first one out and on the Kitchen table even though the lighting was really poor.
So next morning with only slightly better lighting I again got one of them out for a few snaps. The material feels really strong and supple and the design suits my purposes.

Dropping some terrain pieces on you start to get more of a fell for the product. Have to say I am really pleased with my purchase.
More on the sled gun later folks!
Marks mat was the "BATTLEFIELD" mat I think a grey green with some rock showing through here and there. The light doesnt catch the colours as well as I would like but Mark is very happy with it.

So we have mats, we have trees, we have buildings, we have rules, we have unpainted horse, foot, guns and even sleds. I better paint some figures hadnt I!

Lots more gear on the way (some for Great Northern War) so watch this space.

8 comments:

  1. That looks a ready match to your winterised terrain - very nice and a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those winter mats look very nice, a good purchase.

    There certainly are a dizzying variety of commercial wargame mats these days. Awhile ago, I made my own wargame mats but I don't know if I would bother now with so many nice ones available. (here's a link to the tutorial I wrote; in case you'd like to read!)

    https://tllw.blogspot.com/2017/08/diy-wargame-mat.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a very good deal with the mats, I am impressed with the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Howard, if I get anything painted and based you might even get a chance to try the mats.

      Delete
  4. I've ordered a mat! :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Chris, look forward to seeing it.

      Delete