Monday, 10 July 2017

Russian Civil War workbench and plans

So with the arrival from St Petersburg of Leonids Russians I have been enthused by painting the Russian Civil War again.

It has however thrown up some dilemmas for me too.

First things first though. When researching what cavalry I would do next I realised the siberian cossacks I had were wrong. The source I had used gave them with a yellow band and yellow crown to the caps. The crown should be blue.  So nothing for it but a repaint. Here they are mounted.

Dismounted I only had 5 so added 3 more and repainted their caps. Basing still to finalise of course.

Next I wanted to finish off my second unit of Alexsaiev like many of my units I had gone for 12 figures previously so had half a unit over when moving to 8 or 9  figure units for Triumph of the Will.

For standard foot units I have gone for very scruffy looking units and included the odd parade cap for a little colour. I used the old 1904 imperial parade cap colours.  Red for rifles and green for normal foot with different coloured shoulder boards and cap band for the different battalions in a regiment. I know they should really be khaki but cant help a touch of artistic licence.

This base finishes another unit. It also has one each of the manufacturers I am using. Left to right Leonids, Footsore, Copplestone. They fit together quite well.

I then came to the cavalry. With a unit of 10 red capped cossacks I decided 6 more from Leonid would be ideal. Now these cavalry are just lovely, but I am not convinced they fit with Copplestone. Theres the dilemma. Do I leave like this or get two more from Russia and use the Copplestone ones as the start of a further unit. I cant decide.



As dilemmas go its hardly life threatening but I do need to decide. I am also seriously considering my next unit once the infantry are painted. I like the idea of a unit in the Caucasian Native Cherkesska coat. I like the idea of different coloured coats and hats with some of the larger fur hats worn in the savage division. I have the first two of these from Leonid the rest may have to be head swaps or greenstuff minor conversions on Copplestone Kuban Cossacks. Food for thought.

Thats it for now. Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

  1. Really nic units and waiting for next painting steps.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michal, will post on here when they are based up and perhaps share results of my musings

      Delete
  2. Interesting job. Indeed, the figures from Leonid are smaller (especially horses) than that of a Copplestone . But there is a way out. Figures leonid put on horses from the Copplestone . And still, there were small banners in the cavalry. The fact that you are more like an infantry banner. And so everything is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I think I will add some Copplestone Kuban cossacks and do some head swaps, see if I can create a unit of Ossetian cavalry with a mix of fur hats and different coloured coats

      Delete