Wednesday 2 August 2023

Basing for Elizabethan Ireland

 Having played a couple of games and thoroughly enjoyed it, I ma ready to re-base this lot. Been working with 80mm which works well but is also just a bit awkward in terms of the maths, I am an inches guy. So if we were at 75mm that's 3 inches and a bit easier on my brain.

Starting with the Kern Marksmen, proper skirmishers these so lots of terrain.

I have added some small stunted trees and fallen logs along with taller grass so this looks like the edge of woodland. A lot less terrain on the more formed units I think.
I started with 5 figures thinking I might need to add more but its plenty.
 
The extra terrain makes a big difference.
For the next one I chose to go with 4 figures and I think it looks fine, wouldnt work without all the extra terrain pieces though.

Lastly another 5 man base. This feels about right for these skirmish bases, the javelin armed Kern might be slightly denser with less terrain.

After some feedback on one of the forums and from chum Chris, I decided some more green was in order for the wetter parts of the British Isles, so have added static grass to the bases for this collection, hopefully it lifts them a bit. May consider this for my 1745 collection too.


Images not as good but you get the picture.
A unit of Irish Light Horse with the static grass applied before the tufts, much greener, hopefully folks agree this a better look.

Lots more to follow thanks for bearing with me.

17 comments:

  1. Splendid atmospheric basing, an excellent job.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, exactly what I was going for

      Delete
  2. They are looking really good Roger…

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great and I think the extra terrain and greenery works really well....as you say, when it comes to English Calivermen or similar, they won't be in such dense foliage, but the skirmishing kern look just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the English are nearly done so will share these shortly, making a start on more Irish but still need to finish some off before I can have the range I want.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, the English are nearly done so will share these shortly, making a start on more Irish but still need to finish some off before I can have the range I want.

      Delete
  4. Interesting approach and nicely done. I’m personally not so keen on such decorative bases but you have done them well 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. The English will be a bit simpler as will some of the more formed Irish but as Skirmishers I thought this might fit.

      Delete
  5. They look excellent, nice work Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciate that cheers Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Roj. I especially like the 4 figure base. I look forward to seeing them on the tabletop again soon. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, I think the smaller numbers with more terrain suit the Kern, perhaps less so the ENglish and Galloglass.

      Delete
  8. Very nice - and you’re planning more of both the English and the Irish. 👏👏
    I suspect you’ll need more terrain too, if only for the Irish to “skulk” in.
    Then again, facing up toe-to-toe with the English in open terrain wouldn’t be playing to the strengths of the Irish.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Geoff, although how the players choose to approach the game will be interesting in itself I suspect. The Irish tried both approaches, takignt he English toe to toe rarely paid off.

      Delete