Saturday 3 December 2022

Completed Figures for the 45 Rising and Last of the GNW Swedish Horse

The basing department came home at the weekend, as she has taking early retirement from basing, she brought some bits and pieces back,

One of the key drivers for this was a forthcoming 1745 game so I decided to have these back and get them based. Quite a mix of figures so perhaps worth exploring.

These guys are the Redoubt Enterprises English Civil War figures, much heavier and chunkier than the others, very dynamic but they do look earlier than the others and will probably work better for the earlier period (Elizabethan Ireland anyone?) than the 45 but still happy to use them. I particularly like the chap with the claymore and the swirling shirt.
The next seven are all Flags of War, these are the figures that kicked this project off and really, really lovely. I particularly like the swordsmen in shirts. The charging piper is a Front Rank interloper. 
These next two bases are Bicorne miniatures, particularly useful these firing figures to use as skirmishers, the right-hand leader with the claymore really does remind me of "Big Yin". Simple but elegant figures.
Lastly these seven are Warlord Highlanders, nice characterful figures these, the flag is McPherson.

Also in the box returned by the basing department was my last unit of Swedish Great Northern War Horse, the second squadron of Liv Guard Til Hast.

I had painted these well over a year ago and forgot they were there, bit like finding a fiver in your wallet you had forgotten was there. Photos didnt come out too well apologies.

These are all Warfare miniatures, the troopers are the newer Swedish Horse and the command a slightly older generic command figures with breastplates.
As with all my Swedes they are in a shallow wedge formation as they fought and I find it looks really nice.
The new Swedes are really characterful and the swords more robust than some older sculpts.
So the big question is whether, once unleashed, the butterfly will be put back in its box or if I can return to 40mm Peninsular without too much trouble.

Watch this space. 

6 comments:

  1. An eclectic mix there Roger, my favourites are, of course, the Swedish cavalry, a nod to the title of your blog, which is, itself, the draw card that got me here in the first place, as I was building up my own GNW Swedish collection at the time I started visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely. last of the Swedish Horse, but as Chris says other stuff still to do.

      Delete
  2. If I understand correctly, Roj has just about finished his Swedes. Sure that won’t be an end to what he adds to the GNW collection…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking minis. Of course! Reckon I can quickly rebase that load of Colonel Bill highlanders before our next ‘45 adventure. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see , fantastic tartan , I do like the cavalry base and an interesting idea , not a period I collect but I might think how I might use this approach 👍

    ReplyDelete