Friday 12 April 2019

Saxon Dragoon Regiment Kurprinz

Its been a while since we saw anything for the Great Northern War, sorry! But just to prove its not forgotten here is a unit I have been working on in the background that is finally finished.

For my Allied dragoons (Saxon, Russian and Polish) I want both mounted and dismounted figures, so I was really pleased when Ebor released some Russian dragoons. They come with seperate heads so the variety of troops available increases and the Poles will probably have fur hats when I get around to them.

I wanted the dismounted dragoons to have a seperate base for the horses. Mainly for the look but it also is a visual reminder that thye only get two firing dice rather than the usual three for regular foot as a third of troops are holding the horses. It also allows us to leave the horses where the troops dismounted and make them return to that spot in order to remount and move should we wish to.

These are actually sold as Russian dismounted dragoons but I think they look spot on for my Saxons.
I have chosen regiment Kurprinz as it fought in many engagements, I had the flags and yellow contrasted well. You might notice that the mounted and dismounted flags look different, I have put the Colonels colour with the mounted part and the Kings colour with the dismounted rather than buy the set twice. A tight Yorkshire man to the end, short arms and deep pockets.
I also wanted these to be a slightly looser formation which I think suits their role.
The mounted figures are also Ebor except the drummer who is a Stratagem figure I had spare. I am not quite as happy with these as some other Ebor figures, they seem to have  no necks and there is only a single trooper figure to choose from. However by varying the arms and swapping a couple of heads I think they have come out OK and certainly look far better than the plastic Warlord Dragoons I originally had.


I am hoping to organise a very big Great Northern War game in the early summer so hopefully you will see these guys on table in the not too distant future.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice Roger...
    Red with yellow facings is such a classic combination... what’s not to like...?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, it may have been one of your Front rank WSS units hat made me consider the combination.

      Delete
  2. Very nice unit. Especially like the dismounted version. Great idea for the ‘empty horses’. Wish their were more options for hosted holders etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, relatively few manufacturers do them but they do add somethign I think.

      Delete
  3. Very nice they are too. A big GNW game - sounds exciting😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your invitation will be forthcomign as soon as I have a date for a gme sir.

      Delete
  4. They look super, mate. The whole collection is a thing of beauty
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  5. Very nice. Good to see the horse holders for dismounted dragoons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, will be doing this for the Russians at some point too.

      Delete
  6. Great use of those figures they do look very Saxon to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willie, I am happy tht they work too.

      Delete