Thursday 12 April 2018

Workbench update Retreat From Moscow

So for the most part I have been working on the Retreat from Moscow, lots happening which is great as the painting has been on the back burner due to issues with my stomach. That said I have managed to get  a few bits completed.

Firstly a pair of Cossacks. I really like these winter Cossacks in their campaign gear, The guy with the lance came out well, second of each of these I have done but as I will have 4 units of 8 this will not be that noticable.

This Russian Grenadier officer is also really nice. A Foundry figure by Perry's, I have given him suitably aristocratic white gloves. I almost have enough for a company of Grenadiers for Sharp Practice now. Still some dilemmas on how I do the command base so I can use for both Sharp Practice and Black Powder. So for instance do I have 4 bases of 4 musketeers (two SP companies) and then add a command base to use with Black Powder? Undecided at present but will keep you updated.
These two Murowski Poles look suitably chilled and worn out. However they dont look as nice as the rest of the Murowski range, I am not convinced this particular pack was  a Paul Hicks one, what do you think? Nice but not as nice?
The gun crew from Black Hussar are just awesome, I really enjoyed painting these fellas and they were also pretty easy to paint. I have 3 sets of these now, I wonder if I should get some Perry Gunners in greatcoats to mix in and break the look up? 3 Guns seems more than enough given all the horses had started to die.
So thats it for painting, these will go in the box for basing along with a stack of other figures.

3 more Poles will give me my two units of 8 starting point. The Cosscks are already at the point of giving me two 8 figures units I am not far away from a (very) small game I think!

A few more Cossacks next, then some mounted officer?

Thanks for reading as usual.

4 comments: